"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Obama, JFK, and the Future of Politics

I wrote on the day before Christmas about my decision to vote for Barack Obama in the New York State Democratic primary in February. My main reason was the good I think election of an African-American as our President would do for America and the world.

I also mentioned that Obama reminded me of JFK. In the aftermath of Obama's victory in Iowa, and his extraordinary speech, the JFK connection seems even more real, prominent, and important.

I was all of 13 when John F. Kennedy became President in 1960, but I remember clear as day how good that felt. Because, well, JFK - though he was in his 40s - looked and sounded as if he was part of my generation.

It's clear that Obama has that inspiring effect on people in their teens and twenties today. As many media commentators have noted, candidates have called upon and expected big turnouts from college-age voters lots of times in recent history, and were disappointed. They didn't come out for Dean in the 2004 primaries, nor for Kerry in the general election.

They are coming out for Obama.

And I think that's a wonderful sign of hope for Obama's election, and for the future.

It means that Obama's talk about change is far more than rhetoric. It is galvanizing the future of our nation, and I expect it will propel Obama to the Democratic nomination and beyond.

3 comments:

Cryptic Muse said...

Wouldn't you agree that Obama's Iowa victory was a pretty clear indication that his appeal is post-racial? That is to say, his candidacy has more to do with competence than cosmetics?

Paul Levinson said...

Actually, I don't agree with the construction of question. Racial issues are not cosmetic - they get at deep issues in our society.

But, that said, I think Obama's appeal to people in their teens and twenties, and his success, shows that we are indeed finally beginning to get beyond the racial issues. So, in that very important sense, I agree with you.

Which is also why I'm voting for Obama.

Paul Levinson said...

PS - and thanks for the thoughtful comment. Always appreciated here.

InfiniteRegress.tv