"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Obama's Classy Victory Speech

An inspiring speech, again, from Barack Obama - thanking South Carolina for the victory it gave him in today's primary.

An example of what struck me most about the speech: Obama saying we won't let "cynicism" get in the way of our dreams.

Now, when was the last time you heard a Presidential candidate talk to us about struggling with our own cynicism?

This concept - like Obama's ideas and delivery - captures what is so different and appealing about Obama. He is not afraid of ideas and concepts, of intellectual positions that challenge conventional wisdom.

When was the last time you heard a Presidential candidate address the nation with that kind of psychological acumen? The fact that we have one, now, may be reason to think we finally have a chance to move beyond political expediency and cynicism in our politicians and country.

Caroline Kennedy writes this in Sunday's New York Times, in a op-ed entitled A President Like My Father -

"Senator Obama is inspiring my children, my parents’ grandchildren ... I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to be cynical... now that I can vote for Ron Paul I find myself a little less so.

If you want big government, you have 8 candidates to vote for. Knock yourself out.

Paul Levinson said...

anon - if you see no difference between Obama and the other candidates, then I doubt anything I could say would convince you.

But I will say - the problem is not big government per se, but misuse of government.

As for Ron Paul - if you read this blog, you'll see I have been saying since last March that he is far and away the best among the Republicans.

Unfortunately, Ron Paul's allowing racist comments to be repeatedly published in newsletters under his name makes it impossible for to support him.

Mike Plugh said...

Obama's candidacy gets more exciting all the time. I fear that Hillary's political machine has already put enough distance between herself and Barack in the big delegate states to win the whole thing. It's not over, but if you look at the poll numbers for the huge states, Clinton has a double digit lead in all but Illinois.

Super Tuesday could spell the end of Obama if he doesn't use the SC win as a springboard to tighten the deficit he faces overall. His appeal is much broader than people give him credit for, but he has A LOT of work to do before he's close to the nomination. I'm pulling for him.

BTW...check out my new political blog at:

www.communicativeaction.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

A couple interesting things from the exit polls:
- 61% of the voters were female
- only 14% of there voters were between 18-29

Talk about breaking the old assumptions!

InfiniteRegress.tv