"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Final Pennsylvania Results: Clinton Wins the Vote, But Obama Still on Track for Nomination

Well, there's now more than 90% of the voted counted in Pennsylvania, and too close to call changed to too early to call to Hillary Clinton over Barack Obama by 10%.

I stand corrected about the polls - they did get it pretty right, after all. Apparently the cell phone vote did not make that big a difference. And perhaps the debate last week did do Obama a little damage, even though I thought he did just fine.

But the numbers of the overall primary campaign - the "metric" as it is increasingly called - remain with Barack Obama. Ten percent is impressive, but it is far from a blow-out. The delegate split in Pennsylvania based on this vote will likely give Clinton 15 more elected delegates than Obama will get from Pennsylvania - a drop in the bucket, given his nearly 150 delegate lead. Nor are super delegates likely to bolt away from Obama based on Pennsylvania.

But Hillary Clinton will be able to take the fight, newly empowered, to Indiana and North Carolina. She was strong and clear in her victory speech tonight.

But, as always, I liked Obama's speech tonight a lot better. I like being inspired. I think it will move more people in the general election.

One thing is clear - democracy moves in unpredictable ways. Inspiration can take time.

I would still like to see an Obama for President, Clinton for VP ticket. I think the results tonight make that a little more likely than before.

7 comments:

mike's spot said...

professor I still don't see what you think is to gain from those to running together.

Do you think it is an electable combination?

Paul Levinson said...

Clinton has won Ohio and now Pennsylvania by 10% ... both those states will be close in the general election. So, yes, I think Clinton on an Obama ticket would make the Democrats more electable.

dawn said...

Hi Paul, I would like to see that ticket but in reverse. I don't think his ego would allow it. Hillary has now won the big states or what they call the major states. Why can't he seem to satisfy those states. I really want to see a woman President. I thionk this whole process is going to slow. Anyway my friend I believe our show comes back this week can't wait!!!

mike's spot said...

ps- I missed a bad typo I realize it is two- sorry bout that.

I just really don't think those two together are a winning combo.

Call it a gut feeling, or the fact that I think Hillary was a waste of a senator for my state- but I feel like she brings Obama down- and I don't even like him terribly much. (I'm coming around a little bit though)

Paul Levinson said...

Dawn - I think I'll be enjoying tomorrow evening's TV much more than last night's ....:)

mike - no prob about typos ... i'm the typo king, myself...

Paul Levinson said...

PS to Dawn: I would support a Clinton-Obama ticket if Clinton gets a majority of delegates.

yvettek said...

Hi Paul :
I would like to see a Clinton/Obama ticket. If Obama gets the nomination, I don't think he will want Bill Clinton barking at his heals. I think it's more likely that Hillary will put Obama on her ticket rather than the other way around. In order to have a triple threat (Hillary, Bill and B. Obama) we need Hillary to win. I love both candidates, but Hillary is my pick. I will support either candidate though. Who do you think Obama will have on his ticket if he takes the nomination? Edwards? Richardson?

InfiniteRegress.tv