"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Bones in Warehouse 13

Warehouse 13 is off to a good start on the SyFy (formerly SciFi) Channel.

Bering (Joanne Kelly) and Lattimer (Eddie McClintock) have a lot of the chemistry of Bones and Booth in Bones, and the couples even look a lot like each other (Lattimer a little more like Booth). And Artie Nielsen (Saul Rubinek), while we're into comparisons, reminds me of Walter on Fringe.

But the comparisons end there, and if you relish science fiction, as I do, the stories on Warehouse are more intriguing than those on Bones. The warehouse houses off-the-track artifacts from various times in the past, my favorite being a neat-looking mobile videophone from the 1920s - which still works just fine, and is used by Bering and Lattimer - and is said to have been invented just after television. This is actually an historically sound premise, because the first famous display of television was actually a two-way connection, between then Secretary of Commerce Herbert Hoover in Washington talking to AT&T President Gifford in NYC in 1927.

And the warehouse is clearly informed by and sprinkled with the work - known and unknown, real and hypothesized - of the likes of Edison and his rival Tesla. This puts the series in an historically and scientifically grounded kind of science fiction that I usually prefer to the alternate dimensions of Fringe.

But the potential also exists in Warehouse for it to blur its focus with genies in bottles, and, in fact, the premier episode had a bit too much of that.

So we'll just have to see. But if the series remains true to its Asimovian, nearly factual roots, Warehouse could well be worth browsing through and looking at for years to come on SyFy.





5-min podcast review of Warehouse 13










The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

13 comments:

Nick Leshi said...

I enjoyed the pilot episode of Warehouse 13 too. There's a lot of potential for some good science fiction and fantasy storytelling. I just hope Syfy keeps it around. The ratings seem pretty good, so there's hope. I have a feeling this series will lean more on the fantasy side, though, with Indiana Jones type relics rather than scientifically plausible objects. But for some good science-fiction based plots, Syfy's Eureka is still the show to catch. And speaking of Asimovian, my own blog entry today (07/27/2009) is about Isaac Asimov. http://nickleshi.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

IMO...
Warehouse 13 is just another cheaply made, badly acted, bland story-telling SciFi [sorry, now they call themselves "SyFy" (where did *that* "brilliant" idea come from?)] channel supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy/horror TV show, that seem to pop up lately like mushrooms after rain.
It's too similar [as in a cheap imitation of] to X-Files, Dresden Files, Torchwood, Demons, Eureka, Doctor Who.
Ever heard of Farscape, Firefly, Stargate or Sliders, just to name a few good TV shows that are actually dealing with interesting sci-fi themes?

Peace.

Paul Levinson said...

Yep, I've "heard of" all of those fine shows and more, and am giving Warehouse 13 a chance, for the reasons indicated in my blog post.

Anonymous said...

I've been watching most of the sci-fi TV series available on DVD, VHS and online [and that's a *lot*], that's why I can formulate an educated opinion.

Sorry, mate, until you actually watch some of those [better IMO] sci-fi shows, you won't be able to tell nor appreciate the difference.

And if you plan on dedicating time to watch some quality sci-fi shows, enjoy. ;)

Paul Levinson said...

Here's a clue, "mate" - take a look at the index to this blog, on the right. I've not only watched the "quality" science fiction shows on television, I've reviewed them right here... :)

And, next, you might enjoy some of my science fiction novels ...

Unknown said...

I am enjoying the show thus far, though it does remind me of the show Friday the 13th the series. That was the one who had the old grandfather (or some old guy) trying to get evil antiques back to his store or something. Anyway, I am enjoying the show, however does it seem like they skipped a few episodes somewhere? The agents went from totally confused about stuff, to totally ok and just comfortable with everything...

Anonymous said...

Looks like I've struck a sensitive chord there, "mate"... ;)
No need to get all hyped up over some1's opinion. We're all educated and responsible adults here, or so I hope.
I have no doubt you wrote a great novel, but I cannot say anything about it because I haven't read it. I'll take a closer look at the reviews, and eventually take time to read it some day.
But until then, let's stick to the subject at hand [and not mix apples & oranges]... Warehouse 13 versus similar sci-fi TV shows...
And yes, I've looked a bit through your blog, looks like you've watched *lots* of good sci-fi films and reviewed quite a few, but the keyword here is "similar sci-fi TV shows", and IMO we [I for that matter] were discussing strictly science fiction television series that touch themes similar to the ones in Warehouse 13. Nothing more, nothing less. I have not made any references to similar films, literature, comics, games or other media [and please don't get me started, because I've read more sci-fi literature than most people I know, and I've watched more sci-fi films and TV shows than anyone I know... ;)].
Also, I have not seen any reviews at your blog about any of the sci-fi TV series I've mentioned before, therefore unless you actually watched any/some of them, you cannot possibly express a properly informed opinion about TV shows like Warehouse 13.
That's all.

But hey, it's your blog, and obviously you are sticking to your point of view, no matter what I've been saying.

Good luck and best wishes.

Paul Levinson said...

Thanks - actually I've published 5 science fiction novels and about 30 stories :)

Unknown said...

Eddie McClintock will be at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, FL this coming Saturday, August 15th for an autograph signing! It should be awesome to meet him in person!!! Definitely coming out to this and can't wait!

Unknown said...

And Eddie McClintock who plays Lattimer? Did a 4 Ep arc on Bones as FBI Agt Tim "Sully" Sullivan.

Unknown said...

I really like Warehouse 13. It's true they are showing the episodes out of the filmed order. I think that will be less an issue next season, as all the characters have been more or less introduced and are settled into their positions. Unlike other posters, I don't insist that EVERY single show be a hard-boiled science fiction show. I like this show because of the very interesting premise, all the great actors and the great chemistry that the actors all share. They clearly like working together. There's so much angst outside - nice to have a show I can just enjoy. I just wish we didn't have to wait until NEXT SUMMER for new episodes.

Anonymous said...

FYI:
Found out I'm not the only one who called Warehouse 13 just another second-hand, cheaply made, X-Files/Torchwood clone.
Please see for yourself what experienced journalists wrote about a TV series of this caliber:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41618

Best wishes.

Paul Levinson said...

If you'd read my book, New New Media, you'd know I'm usually more interested in what inexperienced journalists think of television shows...

InfiniteRegress.tv