"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Rome Returns (and Concludes): Episode 10: Better than Shakespeare

I said in what seems like both a long and a short time ago, in my review of the first episode of this second season of HBO's Rome, that I thought the show was a powerful complement to Shakespeare.

As I watched the multiple final curtains tonight, I felt this television show of television shows was perhaps better than Shakespeare. Perhaps that makes me a Philistine ... but that never stopped me before.

Antony's words to Vorenus after losing the battle of Actium were extraordinary. He had always feared defeat, Antony said, but maybe he had overestimated its effects. Does not the water still taste good and the sun still shine?

And that was just for openers.

I have praised James Purefoy's magnificent performance throughout this season, and tonight's was his best. Shakespeare never had a better death scene than when Marc Antony took his life. Vorenus praises him. Antony humanly wonders if Vorenus really means it.

This is why I think Antony was the most human, the most noble, Roman of them all.

Vorenus will die, too, though not of his own hand. How satisfying it was to see Vorenus and Pullo reunited. How hopeful we were that they both might live. How wrenching it was that Vorenus did not, even though we understood that this ending was poetic justice.

Vorenus' temper had been responsible for Niobe's death. Did he therefore deserve to die, more than Pullo, who had killed plenty of good people, too, including Cicero (who, ok, may not have been so good, but I admire the real historical writer).

Both men had suffered the death of the women they most loved. But Vorenus had been responsible for the death of Niobe and Pullo had not for Eirene.... (though, since we didn't actually see Vorenus die, and he did survive 30 days, travelling under rough conditions, maybe we have not seen the last of either Roman...)

These two all-but-fictional characters were every bit as good as Shakespeare's best, and played as well as the best Shakespearean actors, as well, by Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson. I'll never forget them.

As I will not this series, whose death tonight, if it is indeed the end of HBO's Rome, is the unkindest cut of all.

Atia's soft tears said it all.

For I have to say that, from tonight's vantage, at the end of the series, there is nothing I could mention that displeased me, other than that the series is not continuing. I won't even grumble about the pace of the second season, which moved twice as fast or faster than the first, which had major history-shaping events and deaths in just about every episode - sometimes as many as two or three or more, as we saw tonight.

No, I won't grumble about that, because it, too, was part of this extraordinary experiment in television, which succeeded beyond anything I ever seen on tv before - both seasons, one and two.

And if we see no more of HBO's Rome, if the old BBC I, Claudius is my next tv stop in history?

I'm not complaining, because I know I just saw history in the making - or the making of a history that will go down in history, and be watched for hundreds of years or more to come in whatever we have for screens in the future.
======================

I'll be putting together all of my reviews of Rome into one unified essay, with an introduction and likely some additional thoughts. Watch for it soon.

======================






6-minute podcast of this review

Good Sex on HBO's Rome, Bad FCC

Rome - The Complete First Season

Rome - Music from the HBO Series

I, Claudius 1977 BBC-PBS series

my latest novel: The Plot to Save Socrates

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, i guess you can't please everyone because after loving Rome for two seasons i thought the last episode ended with a fizz - i didn't like it

Paul Levinson said...

wow ... really? well, to each his/her own... that's what makes the world go round...

Anonymous said...

Paul, when you do your unified essay, could you include the comments of your readers? I was looking for the comments on earlier reviews, and couldn't find them, though I'm a techno-git of the worst sort and can rarely find what I'm looking for on the internet! I've very much enjoyed your comments on Our "Rome." Thank you.

Nomad

Nomad

John Weiser said...

In the movie Cleopatra (1963), didn't she die before Anthony? How about Shakespeare's version?
I would have liked to have seen a closeup of that cart carrying the two corpses in the Triumph.
Loved Atia of the Julii over her son's bride: Ever heard of Servilia? What a lineage.

Paul Levinson said...

Nomad - good idea - yes, I'll include the comments in an Appendix!

Abe - welcome to the blog. Antony died first in real history (as far as we know), and in Shakespeare and Burton/Taylor.

What HBO's Rome introduced was Cleopatra's deliberate deception.

Anonymous said...

Paul, Enjoyed your blog for a while now. Thank you. I was sad to see Rome coming to an end, but going out on top was the way I would've wanted do if it had to end. Great acting and writing from BBC. I am also a big fan of the Wire. Less and less infatuated with 24 and Lost...but thats for another post some day. Kudos to the productin team for ROME, I sincerely hope HBO and BBC will team up again for something similar. Have you checked out Tudor from Showtime? I plan to watch it on demand and then decide.

Paul Levinson said...

I'm definitely going to check out the Tudors on Showtime ... I've saying for a while, now, that Showtime may soon surpass HBO for fine shows (Brotherhood was excellent, and Sleeper Cell pretty good, too)...

I'll definitely be doing weekly reviews of The Wire when it resumes. By all means come on by and put in your two cents...

InfiniteRegress.tv