"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Sunday, January 8, 2012

LP's Into the Wild

Hey, you've all seen that Citibank commercial, with the woman climbing to the top of an awesome rock formation, and another woman belting out "Somebody left the gate open, Save us a runaway train".  Jeanne Moos had a good piece about it on CNN this weekend.

I'm no fan of Citibank, and I've climbed no more than a few feet up in my life, but I was knocked out enough by the lyric, melody, and performance to seek out the full version of the song, and -

Wow, it's "Into the Wild" by LP, the most energizing, emotionally brilliant song and performance I've heard in years.

Here are two video versions - the recording with a picture, and LP's live performance.   Laura Pergolizzi not only sings but whistles evocatively, that stand-up bass player in her group reminds me of The Seekers, retro-rocked-up and launched out of this world into more than the 21st century.





9 comments:

David Tveit said...

I thought she was singing, "Nobody loves potatos!"

Paul Levinson said...

Ah, the noble, modest, much maligned potato ....

tsisageya said...

Men. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Check out the panio player who looks like John Lennon.

Paul Levinson said...

You're right - good pick up! A young John Lennon, circa "Meet the Beatles"! One of the reasons that the harmony is so good.

Wink said...

Damn good find by Citi Bank! I added it to my Playlist.

Anonymous said...

And she looks like young Arlo Guthrie/Donovan/Marc Bolan.

Paul Levinson said...

Good point - especially Donovan!

Anonymous said...

Your post has had me laughing for Like 1/2 hr now. "Nobody likes potatoes"...Ha, ha, ha!

InfiniteRegress.tv