"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Brooklyn Book Festival

Just got back from the Brooklyn Book Festival - Trevor Quachri, new editor of Analog, invited me to come by the Dell (publisher of Analog) table at 1pm, to sign some issues of Analog with my stories, and also sell some of my own books if I wanted.  I had a fabulous time, for all kinds of reasons -
  • I sold multiple copies of every one of my novels - more than I usually sell at major science fiction conventions.  There's a lesson here: the general public, people who may not go to science fiction conventions, are interested in science fiction.  The Dell table was bustling the whole time I was there, and I bet after I left as well.
  • It was good to see the table for the National Coalition Against Censorship also holding forth to the multitudes - always inspires me to see the strength of the First Amendment and the many people who see its crucial importance.
  • Simon and Sarah unexpectedly came by.   So did Bob Blechman, though I sorta expected him.  It was good to see Sheila Williams - editor of Asimov's - again, too.  And Ian Randal Strock, Assistant Editor of Analog years ago, and now publisher/editor of SF Scope.
  • Emily Hockaday is the new Editorial Assistant at Analog.  It was great to meet her, too.
  • My father grew up in Brooklyn, and got his law degree at Brooklyn Law School, which was hosting some of the Brooklyn Book Festival events.  It felt good to be back in my father's domain.
  • I taught at nearby Polytechnic University briefly in the late 1980s.  The neighborhood was just beginning to come back then.  It's exciting to see what a cultural center it has become.
  • There was a love of books in the air - a buoyant kind of feeling which carries along with a sense of hope for all kinds of things, ranging from politics to culture.  A perfect tonic for any kind of day, and the weather was splendid today, anyway.
I plan on making the Brooklyn Book Fair a yearly September visit - even if the weather is not as glorious as it was today.  But, in the meantime, if you wish you had come by the Dell table and picked up a copy of one of my novels, or an issue of Analog with one of my stories, there's a least an easy option for you regarding one of my novels - that's what they made Kindles for.




"As a genre-bending blend of police procedural and science fiction, The Silk Code delivers on its promises." -- Gerald Jonas, The New York Times Book Review


No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv