"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Monday, May 11, 2009

24 Season 7 Hour 22: The Personal Dimension

The next to last episode of 24, Season 7 tonight - Hour 22, with a two-hour season finale on tap for next week - continued the unusual, change-of-pace, more humane rendition of 24 we have seen this season.

The presumably last-gasp of the germ terrorism has been averted. Tony is in custody. Jack has helped Gibran get reunited with his brother. (Gibran made a brave attempt, a few beats earlier, to stop the attack - but was foiled in a nice twist for television, a bad guy playing cop.) All's far from over - the ultra head of the bad guys, played by Will Patton, is still at large - but can it be that the worst is over for Jack and the country on this awful day?

Of course not - this is 24. And Jack is supposed to die of his exposure to the prionic germ, anyway. But, more than that-

Kim Bauer's in danger! Yes, Kim's back in her perennial role, wrongly suspicious of her protectors, blind to the real dangers right next to her, ever the target of people bent on getting to or manipulating Jack in 24.

And this time, what's at stake is a trade of Kim for Tony.

So, what will mostly be at stake in the two-hour finale next week will not be the country, but Jack - about as personal as it's ever been - because Jack has strong emotions about both sides of the equation, for Kim, of course, and who knows what, exactly, for Tony, his friend who saved his life so many times, but in this Season betrayed him. (Another prediction: I predict neither Kim nor Tony will die this season. Hey, that's obvious about Kim, but somewhat risky about Tony.)

Meanwhile, Olivia is also heading for a critical showdown, as Aaron is digging into what exactly she has been doing in the Chief of Staff's office ... I have a feeling we're seeing the development of story there that we'll see more of next year.

But next week - it's 24, the Season finale, the personal dimension.


See also: Hours 1 and 2 ... Hours 3 and 4 ... Hour 5 ... Hour 6 ... Hour 7 ... Hour 8 ... Hour 9 ... Hour 10 ... Hours 11-12 ... Hour 13 ... Hour 14 ... Hour 15 ... Hour 16 ... Hour 17 ... Hour 18 ... Hour 19 ... Hour 20 ... Hour 21






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

1 comment:

M.P. Andonee said...

You know Paul, I am actually seriously disappointed by the choice Jack is being offered in the finale. I know he will do everything he can to protect his daughter and die in the process -- I mean, he was going to die anyway, but why endanger those around him?

In his position, and knowing that my outcome was going to be death and with a doubtful chance of survival for Kim, and Tony possibly bringing me the heads of the conspiracy, I would have told Renee.

Not only that, there really is no telling how much information the two at the airport lounge would reveal if questioned.

I dislike the choice of taking matters into ones own hands...

As for Olivia, I think she brings the whole administration down, and blames it on her mother. She's that kind of person.

Finally, Gibran, when debriefed should have told someone about that "cop". Who knows what kind of leads they might develop from that alone?

Like I said, why does everything in these shows have to be that type of moral choice? I personally would not make it. Would I let my daughter be killed? No. Yet, I would not cooperate with the evildoers no matter what, even if it meant my death.

I know that sound like a platitude, and I know until someone is actually put into that situation they don't know how they will react...but isn't fiction a reflection of life after all? Each of us has the potential for vastly different choices. And each choice defines who we are. My choice would have been individual martyrdom even to the death of my brother. I know that sounds crazy to a lot of people today who live comfortable lives.

I wonder in the end if Jack Bauer is really going to do the same but by different means. I can see a scenario where the writers take him there. We'll see. I just don't see him cooperating with the Cabal.

InfiniteRegress.tv