"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Monday, December 3, 2007

Heroes 2 Fall 07 Finale: Heroes Who Didn't Survive - My Predictions Last Week Were Right!

Here were my predictions from last week's post. Let's see how I did:


The coming attractions say a few of our heroes will die next week. Here's what I think:

Neither Hiro nor Peter.

Maybe Nathan, coming to Peter's assistance. Nathan hasn't had much of a story this year, and seems out of place in this world.

Who else? Strictly on the basis of the storyline and characterizations, I would say Niki might not make it. Micah could be raised by his grandmother. Niki also seems without moorings, without a center of gravity, this Fall. And there would be a sad poetry of sorts in her joining D. L. - on the other hand, Ali Larter has a lot of fans (including me).

Villains? Either Adam or Sylar won't make it - but one should survive. The obvious prediction is Adam will die - because the Fall has been his story, not Sylar's. But Heroes could be pull a switch and have Sylar dead. Not likely, because a lot has been quietly invested in his character this Fall ... but, you never know...

Non-super-hero heroes? I can't see Mohinder dying - his role in the series is unique. Mr. Bennet? I assume he can't be killed now, unless someone blows his head off ... it would be a wild twist to somehow kill him, anyway ... but, not likely. (One possibility, though, is that Claire's blood is not 100% effective in repairing him.) Elle's father ... I don't like the character and would love to see him go - but that's no indication that he will go. Possibly all of the above with survive.


Pretty good, huh? I was right about Nathan and Niki (and I really will miss Ali Larter), and there was a special sad poetry indeed in her dying saving someone in a fire - echoing D. L.'s act of heroism.

And it was also Adam not Hiro who was vanquished - even though Adam yet lives to likely menace some other year.

And none of the non-heroes died.

The way Nathan died, though, was a shocker. (I suppose there is slight chance that someone will get Claire's blood to him - they're both in the same town, after all - but I don't think that's likely.) An assassination of a politician in Texas can't help but give chills. And Mrs. Petrelli on the phone - she's getting more evil by the minute.

But who was she talking to? Who pulled the trigger on Nathan?

My guess is Mr. Bennet, much as I like him. But his working for the company, again, as the only way to protect his family, would put him on a collision course with Nathan's speech. The company, after all, does not want any of this stuff public - that's been crystal clear.

I think the next volume of Heroes should be a good one. The two deaths above offset at least a little of the proliferation of new heroes - Claire's flying boyfriend, Monica, Maya, and Elle - all very enjoyable, but I think the show would be stronger with just a fewer number of heroes and storylines.

And I like the way Claire is getting tougher and Elle more human. This pairing alone, along with the respective, almost parallel fathers, makes the Spring 2008 volume appealing.

And I'll be back here, whenever it airs, with more reviews (and predictions).

Review of other Season 2 Heroes: Episode 2 ... 3
... 4 ... 7. Heroes Meets 12 Monkeys ... 9. How Immutable Are Fate and Isaac's Futures? ... 10. Penultimate for the Fall






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A couple things...apologies in advance because once I started writing, I kept going and the whole post ended longer than PL's original post...I hope it at least provides some food for thought...

First, awesome episode. I just got home from work and stayed up til 3:30 to watch the DVR recording, and even though I'll be up and back to work in about six hours, I don't regret that at all.

Second, and this is a bit bitchy and nit-picky, but the title of your article kind of blew parts of the episode. I'm subscribed to your site by RSS and I remember what you wrote in your predictions, so to see the title verifying your predictions pop up in my RSS feed kind of sucked...but I just avoided the article until after watching the show. Just something to keep in mind for anything you write in the future regarding episode reviews, maybe.

Third, and also nit-picky, but DL didn't die in a fire, he died from being shot. Having Niki die in a fire is still poetic based on DL proving his hero-ism through a trial-by-fire, though.

On Nathan's shooting - My first thought was also that Bennett must have been the trigger man, but that seems too easy. I hate the idea of him going back to work for the company, and instead hope that he just martyrs himself. But, he did have the line about how going public is not acceptable, and with Vol. 3 being titled "Villains", it looks like that might be his new path.

On the death of heroes - While it did say that two would fall, death is never permanent in TV and movies until the character is shown dead
(and even sometimes that isn't the case)...and no bodies were shown. Sure, Niki was presumably in the building at the time of the explosion, but ya never know. Same goes for Nathan - while the idea of someone getting him Claire's blood is out there, remember that hypothetically, Peter's blood should now have the same principle. Peter could cut himself open on the spot and theoretically heal Nathan. And of course, somehow, I'm sure Adam/Kensei will rise from the grave to bring on some new terror. But it was pretty awesome that Hiro would have the foresight to condemn the man to suffer because of his ability to live forever rather than simply kill him outright.

On healing by blood transfusion - what is the status of the people who have received the blood? Do they acquire the healing ability by having the blood transfused?

On Peter - it was great to see him uphold the character that has been his hallmark throughout the series. I'd have hated to see him suddenly turn at the end. Wonder how his love interest will turn out now?

On Mama Petrelli - While you say she's getting more evil by the minute, I wonder if she's not moving in the opposite direction. Her line about opening Pandora's box seems more worrisome and scolding than evil.

On the proliferation of heroes - I think that if Niki did in fact die, having Monica take over care of Micah would be the only real way to continue to include her in the series in a meaningful way. Now they can be a super-hero team and really bring out the youthful exuberance of the younger generation of heroes in order to combat the Vol. 3 theme of "Villains". Flyboy West presents an interesting opposite to this, in that he wants to keep himself hidden and in secret. How will the two come together? What about Maya? She still seems pretty inconsequential. I wouldn't have minded much if she was rubbed out.

On Elle and Claire - I'd bet that the two will end up becoming friends and fighting together against the Company. It's corny, but both have daddy issues, they're similar in character being young girls who mistrust their own upbringing, and both have something to prove. Claire's hardening and Elle's humanizing will create a medium where they will be able to come to a mutual understanding and work to bring about something better for the younger generation of heroes.

On this volume's finale compared to last volume's - it wasn't nearly as climactic, due to the shortened season, but I think they still got the point across. I would have loved to see a full 20+ episode season along these same lines.

Michael A. Burstein said...

I'm impressed by how well your predictions turned out.

Paul Levinson said...

Thanks, Michael.

Thanks, too, Patrick. You're right about D.L. and I'll correct the text of my review.

About my title, though: I don't completely follow your logic. I didn't give anything away in the title about what actually happened in the show - only that I was right about my predictions from last week. So, this wouldn't be a spoiler for anyone who didn't read my predictions last week - and even for those who did (like you), unless they had a photographic memory, I doubt that they would remember exactly what I predicted ... but I do apologize for spoiling anything for you... (and I'm pleased that my review from last week stuck so clearly in your mind)...

Otherwise - no need to apologize for the lengthy comment - comments of any length are always welcome here... :)

Paul Levinson said...

PS to Patrick - good analysis of the ending and the future, by the way.

Peter's blood have healing qualities is a good, additional avenue for Nathan's survival.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to come off as though you spoiled anything for me - you didn't, because I tend to not get that wrapped up in things that having a hint of the ending will ruin it for me...the journey, not the destination and whatnot. I just meant that more as a caution for those who get up in arms about having any major plot point revealed before they get their shot at the material. My memory is a bit of a glue trap haha, so I did actually remember right off what you had predicted, and kudos on the accuracy.

Anonymous said...

PS, upon further review, I see how my commentary on the title came off wrong...that would be the 3:30 AM talking, not any sort of disappointment.

Paul Levinson said...

's ok - 3:30am comments that I'd likely not write at 3:30pm are my specialty ...:)

It's generally good to post them, anyway - gives a little extra flavor to the worlds of discourse...

Anyway, you're welcome here any time, Patrick.

InfiniteRegress.tv