"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Monday, August 27, 2018

Sharp Objects: Final Thoughts



I've resisted reviewing Sharp Objects for the two next-to-last episodes until the finale, because, well I wanted to see how it turned out.  (Spoilers ahead.)

Amma and her friends are revealed as the murderers of the girls - the murder that brought Camille to town - and I'm not particularly happy with that revelation, or the way it was shoe-horned in as a coda.  It's not that I don't think Amma and her friends couldn't have done that - they certainly could - but one of the planks of the investigation has been that it required a man's strength to extract those teeth.  The twist that it not a woman, but more than one woman, strikes me as clever but weak.  Wouldn't a smart detective like Richard have thought of that?

And speaking of Richard, I didn't like how Camille jumped so quickly in bed with Natalie's brother.  I get that this at least was in part designed to show us how hurt and vulnerable she is to anyone who shows her affection.  But, I don't know, it happened too fast, with almost no build-up or prelude.

Back to the murder - I suggested Adora's husband early in my reviews, and I still think he makes the most sense.  He has a man's strength and the motive of protecting Adora. All that was needed to make this work was something that the two victims had over Adora.   Not hard to find or imagine, given that she was all about Munchausening her daughters by proxy.

But hey, I didn't write this, and I assume the TV series adhered to the story in the novel.  Fine acting all around, especially Amy Adams as Camille.  But I can well understand why she said no to reprising the role in a second season.

See alsoSharp Objects 1 and 2: Serial Tennessee Williams ... Sharp Objects #3: Lateral ... Sharp Objects #4: "You Can't Change History" ... Sharp Objects #5: Men in Badges

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv