"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

The Ark 1.2: Why I'm Enjoying It


Checking in with a late review of The Ark 1.2, which was on the SyFy Channel last Wednesday.

And here's what I think: I know a lot of the character interactions are close to sophomoric.  But there's still something I like about this series.  Actually, at least two or even three things, and they're important.

1. There's a freshness about this series.   Although the acting is sometimes not the greatest (but see #3 below), the ambience is realistic.  Maybe that's because the situation is real -- an interstellar cryogenic voyage disrupted before the destination is reached, putting everyone in imminent danger.  Maybe it's because I don't think I've seen any of the actors before, so they seem like real people.  But I find myself believing what I'm seeing on the screen.

2. The imminent dangers may be all or mostly created by either some person or group attempting to sabotage the mission, or the incompetence of some of the crew.  Both of those sources of peril are also realistic, as well as being fun to watch.

3. And some of the acting is very good.  I'm thinking of Garnet (Christie Burke), thrust into the leadership, now reluctantly but effectively in charge.  Also, Brice (Richard Fleeshman) and even Medford (Ryan Adams) are putting in strong, i.e., believable, performances so far.

So count me in as a fan.  I'm glad The Ark is up on the air.  The third and final season of Star Trek: Picard debuts on Paramount Plus this Thursday.  I'll of course be watching and reviewing that too.  I don't expect The Ark to be anywhere near Picard.  But, hey, it's a good series so far.

See also The Ark 1.1: Worth Watching

here's what happened to the first starship to Proxima Centauri



No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv