"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Monday, September 23, 2019

Bluff City Law: The Real Deal



Hey, I don't usually review series on network TV, because life's too short to review hour-long series lacerated by commercials and confined by childish FCC restrictions.  But every once in a while, I make an exception.

Jimmy Smits was the reason.  He's been outstanding in just about every role he's played on TV, from LA Law to Sons of Anarchy.  He was his excellent self tonight, portraying an attorney who heads a firm dedicated to fighting rapacious and disease-causing corporations.

Which brings me to the other reason.  My father was an attorney, who spent a lot of time defending people against big insurance companies and other behemoths who run roughshod over anyone gets in their way, i.e., needs to sue them for whatever good reason.  That's the kind of attorney - Elijah Strait - Smits plays, and plays so well.

And then there's his daughter, Sydney, whom Elijah brings back to the firm.  She's sharp, strategic, fiery, and well played by Caitlin McGee, not seen by me before.  She and her father come with a lifetime of family tensions, ruptures, and secrets - in other words, just want you'd want to see in a television drama.  And the firm is staffed up with intriguing characters, including estate attorney Della Bedford, played by Jayne Atkinson, good to see again after 24 and House of Cards.

So count me (and my wife, who also watched and very much enjoyed the the first episode) in as members of the audience for this show.   And, if time permits, and I'm especially moved - as I was tonight - I may even chime in here with another review.


 


No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv