"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Obama Shines in Ohio Debate, Clinton Shines And Whines to the Moderators

Obama and Clinton both did well, once again, in their debate in Ohio on MSNBC tonight. As Obama indicated at the end, and has said before, both are far, far better than what the Republicans are offering with John McCain.

What seemed to most distinguish Clinton from Obama tonight was also, once again, Clinton's occasional aggressiveness and one round of outright whining, in contrast to Obama's calm grace. This is something he first showed last week, and I thought then and now that it feels Presidential. He seems to be wearing the potential coat of the highest office very well.

Hillary Clinton's carping came early in the debate, when she complained to moderators Brian Williams and Tim Russert that she's always asked questions first in the debates! This is supposed to be Presidential? What a petty point. I have to admit that I always like speaking first in public events, but, even if I did not, I would hardly complain about it in a national debate. And she topped it off with an awkward reference to Saturday Night Live's skit this past Saturday about the Clinton-Obama debate in Texas, in which the moderators were satirized as obsessively worrying about Obama's every need. Clinton's "joke" about this tonight, if that what it was, might have worked at a campaign rally. But, again, it fell flat in this debate.

Clinton also confronted Obama on several issues - most interestingly, I thought, on his response to the Rev. Louis Farrakhan support of Obama, given that Farrakhan is a raving anti-Semite. Obama said he "denounces" Farrakhan. Clinton pressed him on why doesn't outrightly "reject" Farrakhan's support. Obama's response was very telling: he said he didn't see any real difference between denunciation and rejection, but just so there would be no lack of clarity, he rejected Farrakhan's support.

I think this showed an admirable quality in Obama - a willingness to improve his position under pressure. I also give Clinton credit for pressing Obama on Farakhan. But of the two - Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton - Obama appeared more Presidential.

As I've been saying for for awhile, I think we are fortunate to have two very good candidates vying for the Democratic nomination. But this debate reinforced my feeling, once again, that Obama is the better candidate, and would make the better President.

We'll see what the voters in Texas and Ohio say on Tuesday.

3 comments:

Mike Plugh said...

Interesting debate. I broke it down at Communicative Action by looking at it from a McLuhan (hot and cool) perspective before looking at the content. My thoughts on the overall event are there, but there is one thing that maybe you can help me with.

Senator Clinton, at the end, said, "...being the first woman would be a “sea change” in the country and “give enormous hope to the way things have been done and who gets to do them.”

What is a "sea" change, and where does that expression come from? I don't know if it's a generational thing, or if I'm simply not as well read as I thought, but I've never heard that expression in my life. Any ideas?

Mike Plugh said...

FYI....I finally found it here on-line. "Sea change" is attributed to the early 17th century and can be found in this line from Shakespeare's Tempest:

"Of his bones are coral made:/Those are pearls that were his eyes:/Nothing of him that doth fade,/But doth suffer a sea change"

I think it's too heady and obscure for a general audience. Good point, poor rhetoric.

badthing1 said...

Prof, I too feel this was a great debate and that Obama was indeed more Presidential.

I was relieved to hear him denounce the support of the ugly personality which is Louis Farrakhan and as my possibly future President, would hope that he not only denounces him, but refuses to hang out with him as well.

Of course this leads to me to his other association with the Rev. Wright, but I will leave that for its own commentary in another spot in this blog.

InfiniteRegress.tv