"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Review of Rob Sheffield's Dreaming the Beatles 18 of X: "Absolute Elsewhere"

The phrase - "absolute elsewhere" (in case you're for some reason reading this review without its title) - comes from John Lennon's "Mind Games," the second most-discussed song in the next chapter of Rob Sheffield's just wonderful Dreaming the Beatles (hey, if you think this praise is too much or fulsome, too bad, the book deserves it), which I've been reviewing here on an intermittent basis, a chapter or two at a time, in part because I want the experience of reading this book to last, in part because I'm perpetually deluged with other exciting work, in part because I like the spectacle of a review of a book that could well take a year, in part because who knows why.

The Lennon song that receives the most attention from Sheffield in this chapter - and I'm tempted to say the best, though there's a danger of over-using that term for this book, so I'll say one of the longest with a gem or more in almost ever paragraph - but back to that song, it's "God," and its anthem of disbelief (disbelief which Lennon indeed later renounces or disbelieves in "Mind Games").

In his deconstruction of that song ("God"), Sheffield of course concludes with the shocker that Lennon no longer believes in the Beatles.  Along the way, Dylan is disavowed (as Zimmerman), and I was surprised Sheffield didn't mention Dylan's "With God On Our Side," not only the best anti-war song but the best anti-belief in God song (or puncturing the false use of God), in my opinion.  (I played that song for my "Freedom of Expression" graduate course at Fordham University this term.)

Sheffield brings into this discussion his own personal struggle as a Roman Catholic with belief, which, as it always does, enriches the assessment of Lennon.  Since I never had a struggle like this, I can't completely relate to this - I'm Jewish, culturally, and an agnostic on the existence of God, though I tend to agree that there are profound things in this universe, such as the origin of the universe itself, that surpass our understanding, and maybe that's one reason Lennon's "Across the Universe" is one of my all-time favorite songs.  But I can relate to Sheffield's view that Lennon "was the greatest of rock and roll singers-as-singers," and agree completely with that.  Indeed, soaking in the Beatles on the Sirius XM Beatles Channel every day makes me believe that, more and more.

So, like Sheffield, and unlike Lennon, I'll never lose my belief in the Beatles.  And that includes Paul McCartney, who's accorded praise and (I think) criticism by Sheffield for not believing ("Paul has not a scrap of religiosity discernible in him") with the implication that all that Paul ultimately believes in is himself.   I don't know (or much care) what McCartney believes in.  All I care about and love is his music, both as part of the Beatles and after.

And, with a little luck, I'll be back soon with my next review.

See also Review of Rob Sheffield's Dreaming the Beatles 1 of X: The Love Affair ... 2 of X: The Heroine with a Thousand Faces ... 3 of X: Dear Beatles ... 4 of X: Paradox George ... 5 of X: The Power of Yeah ... 6 of X: The Case for Ringo ... 7 of X: Anatomy of a Ride ... 8 of X: Rubber Soul on July 4 ... 9 of X: Covers ... 10 of X: I. A. Richards ... 11 of X: Underrated Revolver ... 12 of X: Sgt. Pepper ... 13 of X: Beatles vs. Stones ... 14 of X: Unending 60s ... 15 of x: Voting for McCartney, Again ... 16 of x: "I'm in Love, with Marsha Cup" ... 17 of X: The Split ... 19 of X: (Unnecessary but Brilliant) Defense of McCartney ... 20 of X: "All Things Must Pass" ... 21 of X: Resistance ... 22: The 70s Till the End ... 23: Near the Science Fiction Shop ... 24 of 24: The Last Two

And here's "It's Real Life" -- free alternate history short story about The Beatles, made into a radio play and audiobook and winner of The Mary Shelley Award 2023



 

It started in the hot summer of 1960, when Marilyn Monroe walked off the set of The Misfits and began to hear a haunting song in her head, "Goodbye Norma Jean" ...

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv