"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Monday, October 5, 2009

The Saving Hitler Quandary on House 6.3

A classic ethical quandary for doctors is: If you were able to go back in time, and found Hitler suffering from an illness that could be fatal, would you save him, as your profession's ethics require, or let him die, as an ethics geared to the general good of humanity suggests. This could apply to firefighters, police, or anyone able to intervene in a life-and-death situation. There is no easy answer, since either choice violates a profound set of ethics.

And that's why it made for such good, important television tonight on House 6.3, as the team - now Foreman in charge, with Cameron and Chase on board, and House on hand in an advisory capacity - gets to treat a genocidal African dictator, President Dibala, played by James Earl Jones.

Cameron's initial take is that Dibala doesn't deserve to be saved. Chase thinks they have no choice but to save him, and in fact shouts out to deflect a human assassin. (I'm reminded of William McNeill's Plagues and Peoples, and its view that humans are beset by two kinds of assaults, microbial and by other people.) But before the episode is over, Chase will reverse positions with Cameron, and fake a diagnosis with blood from another patient - deceased - to get Foreman to go with the wrong treatment, which results in Dibala's death.

Foreman plays a crucial role in this, which tells us a lot about his innermost workings, and how they can be influenced. He's feeling guilty and defensive about firing 13. Cameron plays on this - telling Foreman he's being defensive about the treatment he's ordering - when Foreman objects to the fake diagnosis provided by Chase. Foreman says that despite the new (faked) evidence - which he doesn't know to be faked - the general pattern still supports Foreman's original diagnosis. This of course proves to be correct, but Cameron is able to guilt Foreman to move away from it.

We'll likely learn what happens to Chase next week. Tonight Foreman figures out what Chase did, who informs him that Cameron had nothing to do with the false diagnosis. Is he covering for his wife?

We also learn a little tonight about one of the most wrenching dilemmas possible, served up in inimitable House style. Foreman reminds Chase in their last scene that taking anyone's life, even a monster's, diminishes your own. Would you save Hitler under these circumstances? What about Dibala?








8-min podcast review of Mad Men


See also House Reborn in Season Six? ... 6.2: The Gang is Back and Fractured






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I loved the episode and the controversy it raises. Personally, I would do my best to save the dictator, were he Dibala or Hitler. I don't think anyone should take the hypocratic oath if they wouldn't be able to react unbiasedly. If I couldn't act unbiasedly, I shouldn't be practicing medicine. Plus, what if Dibala is replaced by a worse dictator? What if a supporter of Dibala's feels outraged by his death and retaliates, killing hundreds? These are the things that would plague me, and should've plagued Chase. Of course I wouldn't want any innocent people to die, but I wouldn't risk my career/freedom by taking the law into my own hands. Saving my patient is my responsibility. Saving the future potential victims of a war-torn nation is not.

Shani said...

Diminishing one life to save many seems like a good deal to me.

dawn said...

I think this was an excellent episode, I have to go with Chase. I don't think I would have saved him. Anyhoo Paul where are my Dexter reviews . Have you given up on them

Paul Levinson said...

Hey Dawn :)

- I did a sneak preview review of the first four new episodes of Dex, but don't want to give anything more away, so I'm waiting until the fifth new episode to start my weekly reviews ...

I'm thinking this season of Dexter may be the best ever.

Anonymous said...

IF HITLER WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED
FAST, HOW MANY LIFES SAVED ???????

InfiniteRegress.tv