"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Robert Heinlein and Barack Obama: The Meaning of Voting

Jason Rennie interviews me on his SciPhi Show about Robert Heinlein's novel Starship Troopers (also made into a fine movie), and how its concept of "The Franchise" - that only people with military or other "Federal" service should have the right to vote - would work in American democracy today ...

Although I admire the social daring of Heinlein's insertion of such a radical concept into a science fiction novel, I strongly disagree with it. In this interview, I outline the progress that America has made in giving greater segments of our population the vote - the middle class in Andrew Jackson's time, African-Americans after the Civil War, and women in the Suffraget movement that did not succeed until after the First World War - and I urge that people far younger than 18 get the vote now.

I conclude by citing the success of Barack Obama thus far as an indication of what an open, inclusive voting system can accomplish...







Jason Rennie interviews Paul Levinson on The SciPhi Show

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you got that part wrong. Military service *guarantees* citizenship - and thus a vote - but it isn't the only way to get citizenship.

Paul Levinson said...

Sure, there are other ways of "earning" citizenship and the right to vote in Heinlein's franchise.

But military service is the most straightforward option. And my larger point, in any case, is that citizenship and the right to vote should be an inherent right of all sentient beings (including, for example, 16-year olds), and not earned...

Paul Levinson said...

PS - But I'm adding "or other Federal service" to my original post, just so my point is clear.

Thanks for calling this to my attention.

Michael A. Burstein said...

I have to admit that I've often found myself attracted to Heinlein's idea for a few reasons. It seems to me that much of the American population isn't always that invested in the process, which makes me wonder why they vote.

Then I remember that the majority of Americans don't vote. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry this is off topic,
but where are your thoughts on "In Treatment" for this week?

I don't mean to rush you, I love your blog.

Sincerely,
Denise

Eric said...

The right to vote is also a recognition of the fact that people have the natural right to govern themselves and choose their own leaders, not be subject to the rule of an elite group.

Paul Levinson said...

Eric: Yes, that's exactly the way I see the right to vote.

Michael - Good point. And, actually, I acknowledge in the interview that voter apathy is an argument in favor of Heinlein's position - people care more about a right that they have to earn. But I nonetheless still think that the greater good is served by viewing voting as an inherent, inalienable right.

Denise: Your request make me happy. A combination of Spitzer, The Wire, and some exciting off-line projects have kept me from my review of In Treatment this week (I'll make announcements about them, soon.)

But I'm going to write a review right now, and I promise to be more timely with next week's (that is, my review of this week's shows).

InfiniteRegress.tv