"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Monday, September 28, 2020

The Comey Rule Part 2: The Reality, Part 2


The second and concluding part of The Comey Rule, just concluded on Showtime, was every bit as powerful as the first.  By which I mean to say, brilliantly acted and staged.

As to the facts of the story: well, it's frightening indeed to see what a narcissistic psycho Trump is, but we already knew that.  I wish I could I say it was worse in this docu-drama than it was in real life, but it was just awful truth, enhanced by close-ups and Brendan Gleeson's stunning performance as Trump.

As for Comey, also superbly enacted by Jeff Daniels, you could almost feel sorry for this Shakespearean tragic character, from the day and way he was fired, so brutally by Trump, and in everything that followed.  But I caught myself from falling into this emotion too deeply, because Comey did a lot of damage.  As I indicated in my review of Part 1 last night, he may not have been totally responsible for Hillary's loss, but he certainly was at least in part.

But you know what the worst thing about watching this enactment of Trump's first months in office was for me?  It was my obvious realization that all of this happened before the COVID pandemic, which has killed 200,000+ here in the United States.  Was Trump completely responsible for this?  Of course not, he didn't create the virus.  But he was at least in part, in his worse than insanely irresponsible leadership when the pandemic hit.

So for all the horror portrayed so effectively in this mini-series, it was but a prelude of something much worse to come.   And now we soon are having another election.  I don't see how anyone who has lived through the past four years, who has lived through the pandemic, could vote for Trump.   Or, not vote at all, which amounts to voting for Trump.   And that's a conclusion we tragically do not need a superb mini-series to know, which is in itself an indication of the extent of our real-life tragedy.

See also The Comey Rule Part 1: The Reality, Part 1


No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv