"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Soprano Predictions ... Tony's Family

Three days to the very end of The Sopranos....

I've been thinking more about who will be left standing....

I wrote on Sunday that I thought Tony would be among the living, and I still think so. It's the more satisfying, and less obvious ending - more satisfying and less obvious than Tony being taken out.

But there are a lot of other characters on the show we care about.

And I'm not as optimistic about them. Tony tells Carmela that family members are never deliberately hit in these kinds of wars - but how really important is that kind of tradition? Who would Phil have to answer to if he had Carmella, Meadow, and AJ killed?

I hate to say it, but someone very near and dear to Tony will likely die. Would Janice's death be enough to satisfy this Greek tagic requirement? Maybe ... probably not.

If I had to bet, I'd say that Carmela may not make it - which would leave Tony at the end with Meadow and AJ. A heartbreaking ending, but one with a least a little hope.

I saw a story somewhere that David Chase has prepared three possible endings, to be able to play the surprise card in the event that the ending now in place somehow leaked...

If that is true, then anything is truly possible for Sunday...

Useful links:

The Sopranos as a Nuts-and-Bolts Triumph of Non-Network TV my 2002 article

reviews of the first seven episodes this final season: The Sopranos: First of Nine, Second of Nine, Third of Nine, Fourth of Nine, Fifth of Nine, Sixth of Nine, Seventh of Nine, Eighth of Nine

and a bit of comic relief - a video clip of Bobby Bacala's advice to Paris Hilton!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was one thing, one short shot, that could have been added to the very end of the episode, before the fade to black ...

A shot of Meadow's face entering the diner.

Her face would have told the story. Then cut to black.

Instead, we have no resolution to Tony's story. We are given conflicting information and asked by Chase to fill in the blanks. In his quest to be a creative artist, he forgot how to tell a story.

InfiniteRegress.tv