"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Monday, March 24, 2008

The L Word Concludes This Season with Powerful Lessons

I really enjoyed this season of Showtime's The L Word, which concluded last night.

My favorite thread comes from the next to last show this season: Kit (always great to see Pam Grier in action) has murder on her mind - she can't abide vicious SheBar owner Dawn buying her Planet out from under her. Kit shows up with a loaded a gun. But before she can fire from behind the curtain, she gets a call from Bette (Jennifer Beals) - who is overwhelmed with crises at work, needs someone to pick up little Angelica, and Tina (Laurel Holloman), also deluged by crises at work, can't do it. The call snaps Kit out of her killing fugue. But she's not out of the woods just yet. She gets Angelica, brings her home, steps out the room and comes back in to see Angelica playing with Kit's loaded gun ...

This was one of those moments in which I really wasn't sure what would happen - what kind of lesson the producers wanted to give us.

I was relieved that it was a powerful lesson - with a happy ending. Kit gets the gun safely away from Angelica, and puts it just where it belongs - buried in the outside trash can. Everyone can breathe now. And, maybe because it all happened so suddenly, these scenes struck me as one among the best I've ever seen about the insanity of having guns around - especially with children nearby.

Shane (Kate Moennig) continues to be my favorite character. Her being with Nikki on the balcony in the finale - interrupted by Jenny (Mia Kirshner), who, as Shane well knows, is deeply in love with Nikki - makes perfect sense for Shane's character. Sex is usually irresistible to Shane, Nikki is irresistibly beautiful, and Shane's long relationship with Jenny is complicated. Shane has also just broken up with Molly, which makes Shane more volatile than usual. But ... one thing I don't quite see is why Shane let Molly's mother talk Shane out of the relationship. Given how long Shane had been yearning for Molly, and happy the two seemed to be together, not to mention Shane's rebellious nature ... (On the other hand, what do I know ... I'm just your average male viewer when it comes to The L Word.)

But I do know that this continues to be a superbly acted and rendered series. Beals, Holloman, Moening, and Kirshner and in fact just about everyone gave outstanding performances this year, and I look forward to more next year.

See also Looking In On The L Word






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

2 comments:

Jo said...

Paul, I'm glad that you enjoyed this season and were able to actually find the positives, because my frustration with the show only intensified. I have always despised the Jennifer Schecter character, and I was seriously hoping that Adele (her Single White Female) was going to off her for good. I tune in every week because I feel like I have to, but I'm certainly glad that there is only one more season.

:)

Paul Levinson said...

:) Actually, I find Jenny both fascinating and irritating - all seen through the prism of she reminds me of someone I actually know ...

InfiniteRegress.tv