"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Lost Returns in Five Dimensions

Lost came back in Season 5 firing on all cylinders tonight - emotional to metaphysical - with every character getting a dynamic, wrenching, heart-tugging workout.

Let's start with the metaphysics. Here's what we probably now know about it: Ben moved the island back in time, and, according to Faraday's account, it's now somewhat unhinged, skipping back and forth at irregular intervals. To be more clear: in this universe, travel to the past and future, back and forth, in any order, is possible, but none of the trips can change anything that happened. Lost thus avoids the grandfather paradox and all the other exquisite twists that happen in time travel stories, ranging from Twelve Monkeys to Asimov's The End of Eternity to Deja Vu with Denzel Washington.

Except ... Desmond is something, someone special in the universe, because he can indeed do things to change the past and therefore the future. He's also Faraday's anchor, which makes sense, given that Desmond is about the only one - other than maybe us, and Ben, and Richard, and probably a few more people associated with the island in one way or another - who understand at some of this. Come to think of it, Ms. Hawking, who makes an appearance with Ben at the end of the two-hour episode tonight, probably understands a lot of this, too (and good to see Brotherhood's Fionnula Flanagan back again).

Meanwhile, back on the island, some time in the past, Faraday gives Desmond an important message, which Desmond in the future (our present) suddenly remembers. This pulls him out of his sweet bed with Penny, and off on a mission to see Faraday's mother in Oxford. (It occurs to me that maybe Faraday's mother is Ms. Hawking? Or, hey, maybe she's related to Stephen Hawking.)

Lots of good stuff with Hurley in L.A., too. Except for the fact that he gets helpful visits from the departed - tonight, it's Ana Lucia - Hurley's not really crazy. He does believe Sayid, though, who tells him to do the opposite of anything Ben tells him, and Hurley follows this advice, which gets in the way of Ben's plan to bring everyone back to the island, which may be a good thing (that is, bringing everyone back to the island)

And, as has been the case every season with Ben, I'm starting to forget all the terrible things he's done, and wondering if he may be trying to help in some way, after all. (Splash some cold water in my face: I've got to snap out of that. I'm pretty sure Ben is irredeemably bad.)

While we're on the subject of trusting, I'm not too sure about Sun any more, either. I have a feeling the death of Jin turned her soul into cold stone, and I don't believe anything she says to anyone, including Kate. All she wants is to kill anyone she thinks was at all responsible for Jin's death - mostly Ben, but who knows exactly who else. On the other hand, I suppose she could at some point have a pang of goodness.

Coincidences: I've written a lot about their role and meaning in Lost. Tonight we have one - Kate pulls up in a car as Hurley with Sayid are pulling away. But there's nothing inexplicable about that - they're all in L.A. at the same time, after all.

We'll just have to see. It's clear that each and every character we've come to know, even in the slightest, will be on stage - in the present off the island, and on the island, three years ago and who knows when else - as Season 5 starts to slowly, smartly, logically, magically, dance some true answers to our swirling questions.


10-min podcast review of Lost 5 Hrs 1-2


Reviews and commentary on Seasons 3 and 4
...

2. More Thoughts On Lost 4.1: Those Who Went with Hurley and Those Who Stayed with Jack ...

and

3. Two More Thoughts about Lost 4.1: Ensemble Flashforwards and Is Noami Really Dead?


and ... Lost 4.1: Back, Full Paradoxical Blast ... Lost 4.2: Five Flashbacks and Three Rational Explanations ... Lost 4.3: Thirty Minutes and Big Ben ... 4.4 Kate and ... ... 4.5 Desmond 1 and Desmond 2 ... 4.6 The True Nature of Ben ... 4.7 Flash Both Ways ... 4.8 Michael and Alex ... 4.9 Daughters, Rules, and Some Truth about Ben ... 4.10: Almost a Dream Come True ... 4.11 Unlocking Locke ... 4.12 Hurley's Numbers on the Dashboard ... Season 4 Finale: Six or More Thoughts Plus One

Lost New Questions from Season 3 Finale: 1. How Far in the Future? ... 2. Who's In the Coffin? ... 3. Who's Waiting for Kate? ... 4. Who Is Naomi's Boss? ... 5. Is Mikhail Immortal? ... 6. What Constitutes Reliable Evidence? ... 7. Are the Flashforwards Desmond's Flashes?

Lost Season 3 Finale ... Flashforwards

Lost: Keys to What's Really Going On







Special Discount Coupons for Angie's List, Avis, Budget Rent-a-Car, eBags, eHarmony, eMusic, Nutrisystem











The Plot to Save Socrates



"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

7 comments:

dawn said...

Okay my friend what a show , I think it was too much for one night but a few things I observed, Marvin Candles baby- I think is Miles Strum that may be why he can talk to dead people, maybe he was born on the island. I definetly think Hawkins is Faradays mother. I don't know if we can trust Ben either. What was the package he hid from Jack in the hotel room. Theres just so much more I could go on and on but I have to get back to work. This is definetly gonna be a good year

Jessica Knapp said...

So, I'm in total agreement. First, great episode. One of the best of all five seasons, so far. Second, I also thought Ms. Hawking was possibly Faraday's mother, especially since Faraday and Desmond lost their connection before Faraday could get out her name. They're clearly trying to keep us hanging on that one. Third, I agree that Sun is changed now. I was so worried in that scene with Kate that that she was just going to whip out a gun and shoot her.
Regarding Hurley, I wonder if he will ever get to the point where he embraces he ability to talk to ghosts as a gift (like Miles' ability), instead of just thinking it makes him crazy. Maybe it is a skill the island gave to him as a reward for his constant morality—he is almost always the one who wants to do the right thing. Not that it is all good ... but I was trying to think last night if Hurley has ever discussed his ability with a more spiritual character like Locke or Miles. It'll be interesting if something like that comes up.
Anyway, I'm still hooked. Can't wait for next week!

Paul Levinson said...

Hey Dawn and Jessica - great to see you here.

You know, as soon as I saw Candle's baby at the beginning of the show, I thought he or she would have some deeper significance. And my wife mentioned this morning that maybe the baby is Miles - and you think the same - great minds think alike.

I just posted a podcast review of this great premiere - you can hear it just by clicking on the little podcast player in the post - and, hey, Dawn, I mentioned your name as someone who along with my wife came up with the Miles-Candle connection.

Doing my best to make you famous!:)

(If you want to put this podcast on your website, I can email the code to you.)

Same, by the way, for anyone else.

Leon1234 said...

I am honored to see you following my blog. You are wonderful. I hope to speak to you sometime. Anyway, we can speak through instant messenger? Thank you once again.

Paul Levinson said...

I think your poetry and photography are excellent, Leon. By all means IM me any time you see me on Facebook.

Carrin Mahmood said...

Hi Paul, I am so excited this is back, I missed everyone! Someone switched my Tivo last week and I missed the premiere so just caught up on everything tonight.
So we're all in agreement Sun is spooky and Ben is still a conundrum. Locke’s dead but I’m thinking not permanently…ooooh it’s so great…going to 5.2 to see what everyone says there!

Paul Levinson said...

Welcome back, White Bear!

InfiniteRegress.tv