"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Monday, May 21, 2007

24 Season 6: Hrs 23-24 Finale: Life...

Season 6 of Fox's 24 concluded tonight as it had played all season - a very different kind of pace, with a different kind of surprise ending.

In a word: life. Rather than beloved characters dying, as they have been doing since Season 1, and especially in Season 5, everyone lived tonight. Even the main bad guy - though that's more of a hunch than a fact.

Jack lived. Of course, he did. In spite of some rumors here and there, there was no way he could die and 24 continue. Doyle lived - though he may have been blinded by the bogus circuit-board that blew up in his face. Buchanan lived - and put in a great swan song in the field - which I hope will not be his last appearance on the show, even though he and Karen are supposed to be retiring to Vermont.

Chloe collapsed, but she'll live - maybe even happily ever after. She learned she's having a baby with Morris. Life ... Josh survived, and Phillip--

Well, Jack refrained from shooting him - that's always a mistake if you really want someone dead - and Phillip was on the rig that was rocket-attacked ... but, my philosophy is, if you don't see the character shot point blank in the head, we may see him on another season.

Audrey put in a good performance - unconscious. Ok, that was a cheap shot, but as I've said here before, I'm glad to think that she and Jack are finished.

And Jack looks out at the sunrise in the end, in what may be the most quiet ending of 24 in his history. (And one of the best performances, ever, by Kiefer Sutherland. From his telling off Secretary Heller, to his looking out at the dawn, reminiscent of the best of The Spy Who Came In From the Cold.)

We learned a lot about Jack and his family this year. There is something that feels very clean-slate now, which means just about anything is possible next year.

And so, without meaning to sound too clever about this, I think 24 did indeed manage to surprise us again. With a central story that ended well before Hour 20. With a second story that ended with 30 minutes still ticking tonight. And with a low-key last scene that greets the new day.

I'm satisfied. It was a good 24 hours. The only thing I wish I could see is Day 7 beginning right now ... tick, tick, tick....

(And I'll be back here next year, with my reviews of Day 7, hour by hour.)

See also 24 Redemption: a 24 Even Keith Olbermann Might Like

Useful links:

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold John Le Carre's classic novel

The Ten Gadgets Jack Bauer Can't Live Without funny, well researched, and useful list from Free Geekery

Listen to 4-minute podcast of this review at Levinson news clips


8 comments:

MC said...

See, I thought the bomb went off in Doyle's face to remove the possibility that he would be taking Jack Bauer's place next season.

Audio Addict said...

Audrey's best performance- unconscious. Amen! I was so worried it would end up being one of those scenes where she wakes up and tells her father she's going with Jack... yick. I think it was a very mature and real ending, with very deep insight into Jack's character.

~Dani

Paul Levinson said...

mc: :) a good final interpretation....

Dani - great to see you here! I agree completely - Jack seems more real, less comic book, than any time since the first year...

Anonymous said...

Hey! I enjoyed your review. I like your interpretation of "life" as the theme. That is certainly a different--and welcome--change.

I love it that Chloe will have a baby with Morris. Of course you have people on the Forum suggesting it was Rush Limbaugh's baby (lol) but of course it was Morris!

Whether or not Doyle was blinded to keep him from taking over for Jack, I seriously hope he is back, and not so hurt. His character grew on me, and I enjoyed watching Mike Doyle onscreen.

Paul Levinson said...

Hey, Carina - thanks for coming back with your post. Was a real pleasure having you read and comment upon my reviews all season!

Let's do it again, next season - really - and feel free to jump in on any other discussions you like here, too.... (and I'll be sure to drop by your blog)...

Anonymous said...

You're most welcome - it's been a pleasure for me as well! Thank you too for your comments on my blog's 24's reviews!

I would definitely like to exchange comments next season....I can't wait for it to start. And it's been less than two weeks since the finale!

I'll definitely be taking a look around some more of your blog entries. Since you review television a lot, may I ask: What did you think of the NBC (?) show 'Raines'? I loved it and am most sad that they've cut it. :(

Paul Levinson said...

Missed Raines - but on your recommendation, I'll to get a look at it...

erockerboy said...

So I just re-watched the final 4 episodes of this season and I gotta say...... the finale isn't half as bad as I remembered. And while it certainly doesn't make up for the overall shortcomings of Season 6, ya know what - the ending does hold up well and to some degree gives a psychologically satisfying wrapup to Jack's "inner journey", as it were. (Even tho Jack really SHOULD still be in a persistent vegetative state at this stage, recovering from the Chinese torture ordeal for days or weeks yet to come. But I digress.) Nice to see Bill in action (yeah!)and to get some closure on both the Philip, Josh and Audrey plotlines. At least it sets up a nice blank canvas for season 6. Let's hope the writers don't let us down again eh?

Thx for the space!

InfiniteRegress.tv