"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Monday, November 18, 2019

Watchmen 1.5: Some Enchanted Evening



That was the best thing about tonight's insane episode 1.5 of the insano Watchmen - "Some Enchanted Evening" - sung first by Sinatra at the beginning of the episode and at the end by some group unknown to me.  But my favorite rendition of the song that Ezio Pinza first sang in Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific all those years ago has always been this one by Jay and the Americans.

As to the tale tonight, we get the back-story of Looking Glass, who's traumatized as a teenaged boy in Hoboken.  Yeah, I know, Hoboken, NJ can be frightening in our reality, but not that bad.  In the alternate reality that is Watchmen, Hoboken and nearby NYC are attacked by a squid that kills countless people.   Those squids, again, prompting the FBI guy years later to talk about a squid pro quo, giving tonight's episode an odd resonance to our own political situation (I was tempted to use that as the title).

I just want to take a moment here to say that I still have almost no idea what's going on with Adrian Veidt, which is one of the reasons I said I liked "Some Enchanted Evening" the best tonight.  I can only hope that he'll escape from his prison before this first season (I don't know, has it been renewed?) ends, and proceed to Tulsa or some place pertinent to the main story, which would give all these scenes of his trying to escape and failing at least some modicum of relevance.

I liked the Jay and the Americans' version the best because of the harmony.  I used to sing the song with my folk rock group, The New Outlook, in the Alcove at CCNY when we were still more of a doo-wop than a folk-rock group.  The Alcove was indoors, and we sang there rather than outside because we were worried about raining squids - no, only kidding, we liked the acoustics.

Anyhoo, see you here next week, when we'll learn the fate of Looking Glass, I hope.

In the meantime, one more thing: Don Frankel, in a group called Sundial Symphony with Robbie Rist which has recorded some of my songs on Big Stir Records - like Looking for Sunsets (In the Early Morning) - always sounded a lot like Jay.

See also Watchmen 1.1: Promising Alternate History ... [Watchmen 1.2: don't look for my review, I didn't feel like reviewing it] ... Watchmen 1.3: The Falling Car ... Watchmen 1.4: What We Learned



more alternate reality - "flat-out fantastic" - Scifi and Scary



4 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband thinks it's Bobby Vinton.

Unknown said...

It's the Castells singing "Some Enchanted Evening" at the end. Beautiful.

RP said...

Regarding a season 2 this is supposed to be a stand alone story. Here is a quote from Lindelöf:

‘I think there’s a fair amount of hubris in planning multiple seasons of a television show in this day and age’, Lindlof said. ‘Every single idea we had is represented in these nine episodes, there was no time where we were like, “Let’s save that for later.”

‘We wanted the audience to have a complete experience of a story with a beginning middle and end.

‘I didn’t want to be frustrated by mysteries that went unresolved so we’ll see how this series is absorbed and digested. If people are like, “That was a pretty good meal, I’m good”, then there doesn’t necessarily need to be anymore.’ He added: ‘But more importantly, I haven’t had any ideas of what subsequent series of Watchmen would be. Until those ideas come, I’m content with just letting this one sit out there for a while.’

So who ultimately knows but at least it looks like all our questions will be answered...

Paul Levinson said...

Thanks for the informative comments, Unknown and RP - much appreciated!

InfiniteRegress.tv