"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Monday, December 1, 2008

Heroes 3: The Lore of the Comic Book Store

Second part of the eclipse on Heroes tonight, but more time was spent inside a comic story - with Seth Green, Prop. - and that's fine with me.

I think the first time a comic book store figured so meta-centrally in a science fiction-fantasy story was in M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable. In fact, I was in that comic book store, giving Night a Nebula award for his first movie, The Sixth Sense, back in 2000 - see the photo to the right. (A comic book store also figured in "The Superhero in the Alley," a superb episode in February 2006 from the first season of Bones, which I just saw other night - and which, given the timing and for all I know, might well have inspired some of Heroes.)

I already had a good feeling about comic book stores. In the Bronx, where I grew up, they were usually combined with candy stores and soda fountains - food for palate and well as thought.

Hiro is able to see what's going on, even with his little boy mentality, in Seth Green's comic book store, because it has copies of 9th Wonder, which have all of Isaac's drawings and stories.
I'm not sure if he saw the most important part - I think - of what happened tonight. Which is Sylar, who was really beginning to become likable, is shaken up by almost being killed by HRG, and may be bad again. In fact, he may have killed Elle at the end ... but I still come from the school that, if a person isn't blown to smithereens, right in front of your eyes on a show like Heroes, he or she may well still be alive. Come to think of it, didn't Nathan and Peter survive the atomic explosion? Well, I guess that wasn't right in front of our eyes.

Heroes continue as the most thoughtful, interesting season so far. And now that the sun is back out, we'll see more next week.

See also Heroes 3 Begins: Best Yet, Riddled with Time Travel and Paradox ... Sylar's Redemption and other Heroes and Villains Mergers ... Costa Nuclear ... Hearts of Gold and the Debased ... Seeing the Future Trumps Time Travel ... Superpowered Chess with Shifting Pieces ... Villains and Backstories ... The Redemption of Sylar ... Thoughts on the Eclipse, Part I ... Hiro's Time Traveling Closure






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv