"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Wire Season 5 Episode 8: Two Down



Omar's dead.

Live by the sword, die by the sword, and all of that.

I have to admit that, although I first felt really bad about Omar getting killed, I felt a little less bad when I recalled that Omar killed Stringer, still my favorite all-time character on The Wire, played to the hilt by Idris Elba.

It took two grown men, two fiercesome, stone killers, to kill Stringer - Omar and Brother Mouzone.

It took just a boy to kill Omar. A boy with a gun. Says something about the power of a gun, doesn't it.

The scene, and what happened after, was so powerful, it's hard to talk about anything else in this brilliant episode.

But there were some good developments. Dukie - well played by Jermaine Crawford - is getting an honest job. He's helping a trashman. The antithesis of glamorous, but it's filled with hope, because it's honest. And speaking of honesty, Gus is beginning to get the better of Scott on his dishonesty at the paper - and that's heartening, too.

Just two episodes left. McNulty had to tell Kima about his big charade, and she doesn't want to play, but that's not what I'm really worried about.

When Prop Joe was killed - see my review of Episode 4. One Down - I said I was concerned that maybe the three "prequels" were dedicated to major characters who wouldn't survive this season. Prop Joe was in the first prequel. Omar in the second.

And the third prequel features two characters - Bunk and McNulty.

I hope I'm wrong. It's just a wild idea, I have no spoiler evidence or anything. But I'm a little worried...




See also The Wire's Back! Review of Season 5 Episode 1 and Episode 2: The Great, Dangling Conversation ... 3. McNulty and Marlo ... 4. One Down ... 5. Media Chasing Their Own Tales and Tails ... 6. Superman Omar and Tall Stories ... 7. King of Diamonds ... 9. Cold, Killer Sweetheart ... 10. The Wire Bows out Gracefully






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

3 comments:

dawn said...

I hope your wrong about the prequels too. I was so pissed that they killed Omar, I almost didn't want to watch anymore but thinking of it now maybe it shows how a Marlo grew up and became what he is. I love Bunk and McNulty I hope they don't kill either. Where would we be without Bunks words of Wisdom

Paul Levinson said...

I hope I'm wrong, too :) -and I probably am...

You're completely right about Bunk ... he always has just the right words (his reaction when he saw Omar's body, and looked at that list, was really something)... "on the hunt again..."

Anonymous said...

Stringer bell lost my respect when he had D killed, Omar although he was a homosexual and a snitch which are both looked down on, on the street still held true to the code of ethics. He didn't steal from straight forward people he stole from drug dealers and the likewise. Omar's death was dreadful in my opinion yes it showed that even a child can be powerful behind the trigger, but out of characters on this show i feel Omar should've been killed in a more fitting way. In a blaze of glory or something to that matter. Like Bo-de he went out like a true soldier. Still the memories of omar bring me great pleasure to look back on, how a man struck fear in the heart of the heartless with just his name. "OMAR, OMAR'S COMING, OMAR RUN, ITS OMAR" Best character to ever hit a TV screen in my opinion, a contradiction in its purest form.

InfiniteRegress.tv