"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Final Presidential Debate: Best of the Three, for Obama, Schieffer, But Not So Much McCain

The last Presidential debate of this election, which I just saw on CSPAN, televised from Hofstra University, where I once taught a few courses, was the best so far. Best for Barack Obama, best for the moderator, but mixed for John McCain.

Obama looked the most Presidential he's been so far. He looked into the camera and clearly explained his health policy, tax policy, and the distortions of McCain and the Republicans about everything ranging from Bill Ayers to Obama's positions on health care, taxes, and the rest.

Bob Schieffer was an excellent moderator - asking tough and important questions about all the domestic issues, including the choice of Vice Presidential candidates. Schieffer also asked some good follow-ups, and rarely interrupted or got in the way of Obama and McCain's answers.

McCain had a few good moments, as he had in the earlier debates. His best line was when he said to Obama that if he wanted to run against George Bush, Obama should have done that four years ago.

But Obama came back with a crisp response about McCain supporting Bush's policies. And, as in the first two debates, McCain often came across as twitchy and uncomfortable, and occasionally close to incomprehensible. He did manage more smiles than in the first debate, and he looked at Obama, but he still looked less than Presidential in his chair.

And McCain did himself no good by any standard on abortion, first saying he would not apply any "litmus" test to his Supreme Court appointments (this will win him no thanks from his right-to-life base) but later brushing aside, incredibly, a woman's health as a valid reason to have an abortion.

In contrast, Barack Obama appeared more reasonable, compassionate, and, frankly, intelligent, on this and every other issue. In his concluding remarks, Obama never looked more like a President.

I expect we'll be treated to many more Presidential addresses from Barack Obama in the years ahead.

6 comments:

mike's spot said...

I missed it. I'll have to Youtube it. Tom B was a phenomenal moderator for the last debate- so he's got some big shoes to fill.

did you see this?
http://www.nbc4.com/politics/17715811/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

Virginia is trying to say people can't wear clothing with candidate affiliation on them to the polls!

Sounds pretty effed up. That seems like a pretty flagrant 1st amendment violation, so I figured I'd pass it on to you- as your a bit better at fighting that one than I am.

(I'll stick to our concerns with the 2a though. :) )

Brian McFadden said...

Mike, I did see it and Dr. Levinson is right; Bob Schieffer has been the best moderator thus far.

I felt a sense of sameness after the debate. As a Obama supporter, I've come to expect the "Presidential" tone that Dr. Lev references in his post; but McCain started off strong as well.

Just as was the case with Sarah Palin's first (and last) debate, John McCain's success was in his lack of failure (if that makes sense).

Also, continuing a thread from earlier this month (or late September... I can't remember; you'll have to supply the link Dr. Lev), McCain continued his face-making and negative non-verbal reactions to many of the responses he received from Sen. Obama. I think that I'm going to maintain that McCain's facial expressions of 2008 are the Al Gore *sighs* of 2000.

steph_angel said...

"I expect we'll be treated to many more Presidential addresses from Barack Obama in the years ahead..."

One would certainly hope so ;-)

dawn said...

I have to say I thought McCain look old and nervous . He sounded desperate at times to me, like if he used the Joe Plummer one more time I was going to scream. You are right best moderator and yes Obama is very presidential. What did you think of McCains Palin answer.

Anonymous said...

the fact that so many people are praising McCain for his performance in the third debate proves that he and Palin have lowered people's expectations down to nothing (don't forget, the VP debates were a tie!)

james said...

Paul: I too applaud Bob Schieffer for pressing the two candidates. He's been the best of the lot. Obama too has been getting progressively better. He projects the presidential/commander-in-charge posture and he's tightened the message. It is more succinct and clear. What can we say about McCain -- he babbles, offers no specifics, and repeats himself. He reminds me of my old grandfather. BTW, when is John McCain going to reveal his fail-proof, specific plans for getting us back on our feet, fixing Washington (whatever that means) and most of all -- winning the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan and getting Osama Bin Laden. McCain keeps telling "his friends" that he knows how to do these things. Really? McCain keeps repeating that he knows how to win wars -- exactly what wars is this guy talking about? He knows how to get bin Laden. Again -- Really? I say total bullshit or, at best, this old guy has been holding out on the American people for the past five years.

I guess Sarah Palin's Joe Six-pack has been replaced by John McCain's newest BFF (best friend forever) Joe, the Plumber. It turns out that Joe, the Plumber is really a PPP (political ploy pseudonym). Joe's real name is Samuel J. Wurzelbacher. "Joe" may run a plumbing business but it seems that he's not a licensed plumber. And "Joe" owes a bit in back taxes. So much for the quaint Norman Rockwell picture that John McCain shamelessly painted during the last debate. Interesting that McCain tries to connect to working class folks and all he can come up with is this lame 'Joe' character who by my definition is a rich guy. 'Joe' is concerned that once he buys a small business that makes $250,000-300,000 a year -- Obama's tax plan may hurt his fat pocketbook. Let me break it to rich guy John McCain -- I along with over 95% of Americans would gladly pay more taxes in return for the opportunity to bring home a $250,000-plus a year salary. It would be my civic and patriotic duty to pay may fair share. Consider me the "human direct deposit" ... I would hand deliver my quarterly tax payments to the regional IRS headquarters. That is not a hollow claim but a promise you can believe in.

My friends -- at the last debate, I was disappointed that John "I want to pander to the working class but I can't seem to bring myself to utter those two simple words 'middle class' in any of my three debates" McCain did not include a disingenuous shoutout to other working class icons: What, no love for Susan, the school teacher? Or Paul, the police officer? Or Wendy, the waitress? Or even Rosie, the Riveter (I'm sure McCain dated her back in the 1930's). Doggonit, Sarah Palin would surely have extended her faux folksiness to the average Joe, whether he's a Six-pack or a plumber or what hav-ya. You betcha!!!

For more on "Joe," the unlicensed plumber who owes back taxes, and who apparently doesn’t understand the difference between gross income and taxable income click here:
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/joe-in-the-spotlight/?hp

/jimy_max

InfiniteRegress.tv