"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Saturday, December 24, 2022

2:22: Grand Central Terminal of Science Fantasy



I don't know how I could've missed it, but I just came across 2:22, a 2017 movie, on Hulu.  And seeing as how it had a least a whiff of time travel, and its locus was none other than Grand Central Terminal in New York City, I had to watch it.  (Grand Central Terminal is also a centerpiece of my story, "It's Real Life," now being made into a radioplay -- which in itself is something we associate with the 1940s.)

I'm glad I watched 2:22, and I'll try to tell you why without too many if any spoilers.

Dylan is an air traffic controller who gets slightly pulled into some other reality at a crucial time, with the result that two planes nearly crash.  On one of the those planes is Sarah, who wanted to be a dancer but instead plays a big role in an art gallery.  Art and motion and the night sky and holograms all play a big role in the ensuing story.

Dylan and Sarah fall in love, and it's a lot more and deeper than love at first sight.  Dylan and therefore we keep seeing a murder scene in Grand Central Terminal which happened almost thirty years ago.  We gradually learn that the two are somehow connected to it, as is Jonas, an artist whose exhibition will soon open at Sarah's gallery.  Also, the two used to be a couple.

And I'm not going to tell you any more about the plot, because of what I said about limiting spoilers.  What I will say is that 2:22 captures the pace and flavor of pre-COVID New York City very well, even though at least part of the production company credits are Australian.  And though the developing story and its resolution put it in more in the realm of science fantasy than science fiction, there's enough science deftly mixed in there that the movie works for me.

Fine directing by Paul Currie, and I liked both  Michiel Huisman (who is currently playing Prince in Echo 3, which I've been enjoying and reviewing) and Teresa Palmer in the lead roles of Dylan and Sarah.

It's Real Life

alternate reality about Grand Central & The Beatles on Amazon, and  FREE on Vocal

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv