"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Friday, December 30, 2022

Slow Horses 2.6: The Heralds of Humiliation


An outstanding finale to the short six-episode season two of Slow Horses on Apple TV+ tonight.

Here are some of my many favorite parts [of course, spoilers ahead ... ]:

  • The double funeral for Min was sad, hilarious, perfect in every way.  I even learned something: this season of Slow Horses is taking place in 2016.  Was that known before?  Possibly, I may have dozed off for a second in a previous episode.
  • River's grandfather getting the best of his would-be assassin.  As he told River when he was chided by River for opening the front door.
  • Roddy (I decided to just stay with first names in this review) getting some real action (that is, combat of sorts) in the field.
  • Louisa at both Min funerals. and also what Louisa did to that Russian killer.  (I lost count of how many of the Russian killers were bald.  Three?)
  • Lamb explaining that his team can't be humiliated, because they've already been all humiliated.
  • I know I've said this many times already, but it's worth repeating:  Mick Jagger's "Strange Games" sounds better than ever, every time I hear it.  The song and its performance are worthy successors to Johnny Rivers' (no relation) "Secret Agent Man".
And here's one thing I didn't like:

  • Spider survived.   Ok, I know the character plays an important role, but I just don't like him.
There'll be a Season 3, and I'll be back here with reviews.  In the meantime, Happy New Year!

See also Slow Horses 2.1-2.2: Do Horses Eat Ramen? ... 2.3: Faster Than You Think ... 2.4-2.5: Lamb Firing On All Cylinders

And see also Slow Horses 1.1-2: Fast-Moving Spy Thriller ... Slow Horses 1.3: The Fine Art of Bumbling ... Slow Horses 1.4: Fine New Song by Mick Jagger ... Slow Horses 1.5: Did You Hear the One About the ... Slow Horses 1.6: The Scorecard

  



No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv