"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Surface season 1: Deeply Engaging



I saw that Apple TV+ recently signed on for a second season of Surface, and since I hadn't seen the first season (which was on Apple TV+ this past summer), I figured I should.  And I'm very glad that I did.  It's rare that I watch a whodunnit aka mystery story with so many pieces that fit together so well in retrospect but I haven't been able to work out when they -- the characters and the situations -- first come into play.  But Surface did just that, and I'm eagerly awaiting more in the second season.

[Inevitably, some spoilers ahead ... ]

The story starts with Sophie and her almost total amnesia, the result, most people think, of her attempted suicide, as she jumps off a bridge into the deep waters near the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.  Except Sophie can't quite believe she tried to take her own life, and has a feeling she was pushed. 

By whom?

Her husband seems truly loving, but he's apparently caught up in some big money business deal which went bad.  And he is sleeping with Sophie's best friend.  Meanwhile, Sophie discovers that she was having an even more tempestuous affair with an undercover narcotics detective.  He loves Sophie, and strongly suspects that she was indeed pushed overboard -- by her husband.

I won't tell you anything more about the plot, in case you haven't seen the series, which you should.  I will say that even the secondary characters are excellent, ranging from the husband's best friend to a senior detective in the SFPD.  And the acting is excellent, too, with a tour-de-force performance by Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Sophie, and memorable jobs by Oliver Jackson-Cohen as her husband, Stephan James as her narcotics detective, and Marianne Jean-Baptiste as her shrink.

And, as I said, the amazing thing about this complex puzzle of a story is that just about everything fits together in the end.  Indeed, my only big question now is why did Apple TV+ wait so long to renew this gem of a series?


No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv