"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Saturday, June 16, 2007

John from Cincinnati: Day Two

So, I saw the second episode of John from Cincinnati on HBO On-Demand the other night ... and I did like it a little more than I liked the first ...

There was some real tension as Shaun, the grandson, gets his neck broken in the surf ... though it was also pretty obvious that this was just a set-up for John to be able to further demonstrate his magical powers (which also seem to be helping Butchie kick his drugs)...

There was some humor, of sorts, with John pretending to "dump," and being praised by Butchie for great "fume control"...

I don't know what to say about this series - it has to be one of the most peculiar things I've seen in a while, maybe ever, on television.

But amidst the inscrutable and bizarre characters, there are some side people I'm beginning to recognize and like - Luke Perry as a promoter, Emily Rose as a film maker, Luis Guzmán as motel manager is always welcome on the screen - and that's always a good sign.

And come to think of it, I'm also enjoying writing about this series, and that should count for something, too - at least, for me...

So, yeah, at least for now, I'm still watching...

See also reviews of other episodes Episode One ... Episode Three ... Episode 4 ... Episode 5 ... Episode 6 ... Episode 7 ... Episode 8 ... Episode 9 ... Episode 10

See also John from Cincinnati: The Meaning in a Sentence or Two

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the name of the song that comes on when the credits start to role at the end of Day Two?

Anonymous said...

anonymous: it's TV On The Radio's "Staring At The Sun". And, FWIW, the opening sequence is accompanied by Joe Strummer's "Johnny Appleseed". Both songs come from very good albums.

Jack Ludwig said...

I caught the first two episodes on On Demand last night and yeah, I have no idea if I'm being had or not, but I'm still watching. I read your blogs about Battlestar Galactica and my initial opinion of John from Cincinnati is similar to my initial reaction to that show. I wasn't too impressed in the beginning but once it established itself I was hooked. I did like the way the second episode ended - at the very least I'll watch the next one to see that resolved.

Also, I share your opinion on Luis Guzman, and so far he's one of my favorite characters. I'm hoping that will develop into a larger role.

Anonymous said...

what about when Shaun is waxing the board before the competition gets going? 'There is a deadlock?' etc etc. That rocks too

Anonymous said...

That track was 'Tic' by UK band Kava Kava. I found it on itunes.
Amazing band. Played their first US dates at SXSW this year. Just ordered their CD from the myspace ....

Anonymous said...

Add me to the casual investor group. I'm apathetic toward Jogn From Cincinati.

I loved Deadwood from the start...so based on past creator performance I'm giving JFC a chance.

Bobo

Unknown said...

I've come to this page in search of the track that plays during the previews for John from Cincinnati. I don't watch a whole lot of television; it may actually be the default HBO preview song. I can't tell you much except that it's got an electric guitar strumming a medium-paced, mysterious and sort of hopeful tune. Anybody know?

Anonymous said...

jon, if you haven't got an answer by now, the preview music is Harriet Street - "The Perfect Ending" from their 2005 CD "Cold and Comfortable." I was just sent this song tonight from a fellow HBO message board member.

{B^|)>

InfiniteRegress.tv