"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Friday, June 8, 2007

Paris Hilton: Media Are a Girl's Best Friend

A few words about the non-stop cable news coverage of Paris Hilton today - CNN, Fox, MSNBC - interrupted only when the Secretary of Defence announced that he was going to replace the Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff... and even then, just for a precious few minutes....

First, I of course think that all people should be treated equally before the law. But, second, I think that a 40-day sentence reduced to a 20-day sentence may be a little excessive for anyone who violates probation on a drunk-driving conviction by driving drunk again....

But here's what I'm 100% sure is excessive: this wall-to-wall, cable-to-cable coverage of this case.

Sure, news is what the public is interested in. No doubt this Paris Hilton story warrants some coverage...

But non-stop? At least O.J. was fleeing from double-homicide charges - not drunk driving - and he was a sports hero and a movie star.

Paris is someone who pretty much has become famous for being famous - publicity about publicity - and the media are just fueling this with their nonstop coverage.

I suppose I shouldn't be writing about this either ... but, hey, I like publicity, too...

PS - On the bright side, I did learn a new phrase from the media today - "sally port" - I think I've heard it at least 294 times already...

and a bit a comic relief - Sopranos' Bobby Bacala's advice to Paris!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Honestly, I've stopped watching television news. Its full of so much garbage anymore. I had no idea about the Paris drama until a coworker Instant Messaged me (yes we have IM at work) to tell me: "Paris is going back to jail!".

I don't want to be AJ, but um, why is CNN spending time on Paris in lieu of covering the war?

Have you seen the movie Idiocracy?

InfiniteRegress.tv