"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Bones 6.7: Newman and "Death by Chocolate"

Newman from Seinfeld - Wayne Knight - put in a good appearance on Bones 6.7 tonight.   The character could have well been the irascible mailman, except he was a chocolate honcho, in an episode that could well have titled "Death by Chocolate," as "Newman" commented about the hot babe found murdered in a huge chocolate bar.

By "chocolate honcho" I of course mean head of a chocolate factory, and not a honcho made of chocolate.   This is also distinct from the "chocolatier" (for some reason, I really like this term), who is the master chocolate maker, and in this episode - well, I don't want to melt your surprise, i.e., give anything away.

But chocolate is very much the medium through which this murder is received, turning the flesh to mush, and leaving mostly just the bones, which of course is where Bones comes in.   She has a good line tonight - "chocolate and violence often intersect" - and proceeds to impart an anthropological gem.  But with Mr. Nigel-Murray on hand as the intern, the greatest number of arcane nuggets of course belongs to him.   Unlike all the other characters on the show, by the way, I like Nigel-Murray's "trivia" (Cam's words), and in fact I think his points are far more important than trivia.  (Cam even acknowledges that Milton Hersey being a Quaker - given the Quaker interest in chocolate as an inducement away from alcohol - was somewhat interesting.  Nigel-Murray makes both points.)

Cam otherwise has a storyline about her daughter choosing a college based on her boyfriend, but more significant for Bones and Booth is what happens when Hodgins assembles everyone to tell them that Angela's pregnant.   There's a funny scene in which Cam, Bones, Sweets, and Nigel-Murray unsuccessfully attempt to feign but surprise, but -

Why wasn't Booth there at the table?

He's gone home to have "sex with Hannah" as Bones puts it.  Hannah has just returned from overseas, but even so, Booth's decision not to join his friends at Angela and Hodgin's announcement has a lot of signifcance, me thinks.


5-min podcast review of Bones

See also Bones 6.1: The Linchpin ... Bones 6.2: Hannah and her Prospects ... Bones 6.3 at the Jersey Shore, Yo, and Plymouth Rock ... Bones 6.4 Sans Hannah ... Bones 6.5: Shot and Pretty ... Bones 6.6: Accidental Relations

And see also Bones: Hilarity and Crime and Bones is Back For Season 5: What Is Love? and 5.2: Anonymous Donors and Pipes and 5.3: Bones in Amish Country and 5.4: Bones Meets Peyton Place and Desperate Housewives and Ancient Bones 5.5 and Bones 5.6: A Chicken in Every Viewer's Pot and Psychological Bones 5.7 and Bones 5.8: Booth's "Pops" and Bones 5.9 Meets Avatar and Videogamers ... Bad Santa, Heart-Warming Bones 5.10 ... Bones 5.11: Of UFOs, Bloggers, and Triangles ... Bones 5.12: A Famous Skeleton and Angela's Baby ... Love with Teeth on Bones 5.13 ... Faith vs. Science vs. Psychology in Bones 5.14 ... Page 187 in Bones 5.15 ... Bones 100: Two Deep Kisses and One Wild Relationship ... Bones 5.17: The Deadly Stars ... Bones Under Water in 5.18 ... Bones 5.19: Ergo Together ...  Bones 5.20: Ergo Together ...  Bones 5.21: The Rarity of Happy Endings ... Bones Season 5 Finale: Eye and Evolution





                 Special Discount Coupons for Angie's List, Avis, Budget Car, eHarmony, eMusic, Mozy, Zazzle





The Plot to Save Socrates



"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book
 

7 comments:

CJ said...

I lot more significance...do tell? Do you think Booth is sick of lying in general...sick of lying about his feelings for Brennan

Unknown said...

And what did Hodgins expect?
To keep a secret from the most detail-oriented investigators imaginable? Sweets- the human lie detector. Cam- former ME for NYC? Bones herself, not just incredibly perceptive, but Angie's best buddy and big toe as well?

He figured out immediately that they were conning him. Did he expect less from them?

DJ said...

I must have missed something, and it's been bugging me -- Although I watched pretty closely, I don't remember any explanation of how the body was mostly dissolved. As far as I know, chocolate doesn't dissolve human flesh! So how did it get dissolved?

And Booth's behavior at the end was kinda shabby. But really, he's NOT a squint... he's an FBI agent who works with them. And I sort of recall his being excluded from squint fun and games to some extent on Halloween.

Paul Levinson said...

Beats me about the dissolving power of chocolate, DJ - it's one area in which my expertise as a science fiction writer doesn't quite extend ...

Anonymous said...

I believe I heard either Bones or Cam say that since the decomposition gases had nowhere to go, they turned the guts into a putrid liquid. I just assumed that meant that since the gases were trapped, they accelerated decomp.

Paul Levinson said...

Yep, now that you mention it, I recall hearing someone say that, too.

DJ said...

Sorry it took me a while to get back here; but thank you. I guess that's a plausible explanation (that I missed while watching). I'm not sure it could have happened in the short timeframe that was presented in the narrative, but it's something. And I mean, if the show doesn't keep to plausibility then we don't have a show worth watching, and I do appreciate that they try to keep it plausible. :) And I guess it bugged me because it seemed like it was the opening premise of the show, and then I didn't see that it got explained, but that's because I apparently missed the explanation.

One could test this scenario, perhaps with some raw ground beef kept in anaerobic conditions for a week or so at warm temperatures. It would have to have e-coli and other bacteria active in it. And then see if it dissolves? I'm thinking that the chocolate per se had little or nothing to do with it; it was the anerobic conditions. Frankly, I don't think it would dissolve in a short timeframe, but it might be just plausible enough to fall within the realm of dramatic license.

Mr. Levinson, I guess I'll just add that I followed you back here to your blog from the IMDB, I guess because it seemed like I might find the answer to a trivial question that happened to bug me, and also your name seemed vaguely familiar. I've decided that it must have been from the PBS Newshour. :-)

InfiniteRegress.tv