"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Dirty John 1.3: The Earlier Wife




Episode 1.3 of Dirty John brought us an historical portrayal of John and his earlier wife, a nurse in Dayton, Ohio.  The upshot is we see what a well-practiced con-man, psycho, or whatever John really is.

Which leaves Debra in an even worse position.   By pairing her finally becoming aware of the peril John is putting her in, with a stark tableau of what John was like before he met/seduced Debra, the result is Debra seems in even more dire straits than before we knew about John's earlier life and wife.

This leaves open two questions:  How bad is John, really?  And how will Debra get out of this?  I'm pretty sure we don't know what ultimately became of John's Dayton wife.  If she's dead, that means Debra's indeed in danger of losing her life.  If the nurse is still alive, that suggests there are limits to John's deception - it may not lead to the death of his victims.

As I've mentioned before, I don't know the true story behind this, nor have I listened to the podcast.  This means I'm approaching Dirty John as a straight-up mystery, in which I'm looking for clues and trying to grok the outcome.  On that level, Dirty John (the series) is doing a pretty good job of keeping us on our toes.   I have no idea what the outcome will be, and the death of anyone - including John (via Debra or one of her kids or nephew) or Debra (via John) are still real possibilities.

I'll see you here next week, when we know more.

See also: Dirty John 1.1: Hunter and Hunted ... Dirty John 1.2: Motives and Plans

 

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv