"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Publication News about "Unburning Alexandria" - the sequel to The Plot to Save Socrates - Sierra Waters' story continues

UPDATE - May 3, 2013 - Unburning Alexandria (the novel) is finished and published.    Details here.  The following announcement is about the publication of the novelette in 2008.

Dear Infinite Regress Friends and Readers -

Many of you have been asking me when the sequel to my novel, The Plot To Save Socrates, will be published. As some of you know, its title is Unburning Alexandria, and I'm currently about half-way through writing the novel (and really enjoying it!)

For a variety of reasons, I still can't give you an exact date for publication of the novel.

But, I'm pleased to tell you that Analog: Science Fiction and Fact magazine will be publishing the first two chapters of "Unburning Alexandria" as a standalone novelette, in August 2008 (the cover date of the issue of Analog will be November, 2008).*

*Note added January 2010:  You can purchase the November 2008 issue of Analog, with "Unburning Alexandria," over here - look for "Back Issues".

For those of you who have read The Plot To Save Socrates, you'll find some dangling questions at the end of the novel answered - as well, of course, as some new ones raised. (My original draft of The Plot to Save Socrates actually had some of this material in the final chapter.)

I am especially pleased that this novelette will be published in Analog. I consider its editor, Stan Schmidt, one of the best editors in the business. Stan published my first three Phil D'Amato stories in Analog in the 1990s, and a lot of my other short fiction in the 1990s. Indeed, the last story I published in Analog was "The Man Who Brought Down the New York Times," in December 2000.

Writing novels, nonfiction books, political blogs, television reviews, chairing a department at Fordham University, has kept me from writing shorter fiction. But I've always loved the short form, and I intend to get back to doing at least a little of that now (along with the novels, nonfiction books, political blogs, tv reviews, and the rest).

And there's no better place to have any science fiction published than in Analog - not only edited by Stan Schmidt, but long the highest circulation science fiction magazine in the field.

You might enjoy visiting the Analog site, and I certainly recommend subscribing if you love science fiction or even just good short stories.

And if you haven't read The Plot to Save Socrates, you can get the first chapter online, free, right here.

Enjoy ... Paul











"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book

No comments:

InfiniteRegress.tv