"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Lie to Me 2.7: The Redeeming of Loker

Eli Loker (Brendan Hines), one of the best characters on Lie to Me, in which all of the central characters are outstanding, has been in Lightman's dog house since the middle of the first (last year's) season, when Loker alerted the Security Exchange Commission about the results of a case he was working on. Lightman nearly fired Loker, settled for demoting him to a lowly unpaid intern, with an injunction that Loker needed to show he could really "contribute" to the organization.

In last night's 2.7, Loker did just that - in a way that lost the Lightman group almost two million of much needed dollars, but maintained the moral high ground that is so crucial to Lightman, and what makes him and the show so appealing. Loker finds that a big electronics discount store, signed up by Loker as a client, was partially responsible - "contributory negligence" is the legal term - for a stampede that took place in front of the store. When Loker makes it clear to the client that he does not intend to sit on this information, the client takes back the lucrative fee. Lightman feigns fury about this to Loker, but he's in fact delighted by Loker's integrity, and it will be fun to see Loker in an ascending rather than descending role.

The other story in 2.7 was about a teenager, kidnapped as a baby 16 years ago, in search of his real parents. It was a strong, in the end heart warming story, but it had no connection to the electronic discount store, and I find the two separate story approach (lots of television does it) usually does not make for the most riveting episode.

Hey, I'm reviewing Lie to Me, so I'm not going to lie to you.

And I'll be back here next week with my review of this highly original, compelling series.






5-min podcast review of Lie to Me


See also my reviews of Lie to Me and Bill O'Reilly, Saddam Hussein, and Ben Reynolds in Lie to Me 2.6






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

3 comments:

dawn said...

Hi Paul,I left you a message in Dexter take a look, I liked this episode. I thought it also showed the increasing bond between foster and cal. Loker has now redeem himself. Funny because I came across a Dr Lillian Glass and I find her to be a moron. She only thinks her opinions matter and she is always 100% right . If you write a dissenting opinion she e-mails you. She is supposed to be a body and language expert but I find her to be biased. Have you ever seen her

Paul Levinson said...

Lilian Glass sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know her.

My wife mentioned that Dr. Glass is supposed to be on Nancy Grace tonight - if I get to see her on the show, I'll let you know what I think.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the two stories in 1 episode. It's like watching The Love Boat! :( They should hire better writers that can work all 4 main characters into 1 storyline, maybe interview more ppl. It would be more exciting.

Lillian Glass is a dumbass. I had a voice book in the 80's by her. Look up her website. She exudes dumbass vibes!

InfiniteRegress.tv