"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Californication Going On Mondays

CalifornicationCalifornication debuts on Showtime tonight.

I saw an advance copy of the first episode, and was laughing my ass off.

Tom Kapinos' writing is brilliant. David Duchovny's Hank Moody and Natascha McElhone's Karen are called to school to hear a guidance counselor or whoever express concern about their daughter's behavior - they're unmarried parents. The guidance person starts out by saying how good the daughter is in many ways. Hank quips, I sense "a hairy but" coming.

He's a writer whose book is made into a big movie he doesn't like (I only wish I had that problem). He's a font of funny quips - someone's voice sounds like a "dialtone," he says (for some reason, I liked that line - I think I've spoken to that same person - used to be Director of a program I taught in years ago).

And ... the sex is great, and hilarious. Hank gets woken up in the morning with oral sex, later gets punched twice in the face while having sex with a hot chick he picked up in the bookstore reading his book ... who could ask for more.

Californication promises to be the funniest, raunchiest show on television.



See reviews of other Californication episodes: 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5
... 6 ... 7 ... 8 ... 9
... 10 ... 11: Pivitol Mia ... 12: Californication Comes ... To a Season's End








5 minute podcast review of Californication






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Californication is a cliche-ridden, unimaginative, blundering mess. The dialogue is stilted and predictable. The only thing missing was Duchovny saying, I'm too old for this shit.

I could only give it 15 minutes and I want that 15 minutes of my life back. Worst writing I've heard all year. Sucks!

Paul Levinson said...

To each his/her own - hard to believe, though, that you were watching the same Californication I did...

Anonymous said...

I think this is one of the most brilliant, funny and engaging shows on TV right now. My only regret is that it is on only once a week.

A friend is equally in love with this show and would like to write a spec script. Do you know of a way to get a sample script of the show? We've looked everywhere.

Thanks-

InfiniteRegress.tv