"I went to a place to eat. It said 'breakfast at any time.' So I ordered french toast during the Renaissance". --Steven Wright ... If you are a devotee of time travel, check out this song...

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Reasons for Glee's Success

Several reporters interviewed me today about the reasons for Glee's success - it returned after a several month hiatus with double the ratings - and what I think of its future.

Here is a little of what I told them (I'll put the links to the stories here when they're posted in the next few days) -

1. Glee is one of best examples of a television show that draws on older media (songs we all know) and new media (songs on the show are available for download on iTunes).   I explore this powerful hybridization of old and new media in my New New Media book.

2. A TV show about a high school in middle American is a welcome relief from the high-tension punch-in-the-stomach drama of 24, Criminal Minds, etc., much as I love those shows.   A high school story about real people is also welcome alternative to the mind-tangling, paradoxical stories of Lost, much as I love that show, too.  But people appreciate an alternative to that kind of demanding television.  Like the critically acclaimed Friday Night Lights, Glee appeals to the need we all have to see stories about people living like us.

3. Coleridge talked about "that willing suspension of disbelief" which allows us to enjoy fiction.  Although breaking out into song is in one sense absurd, once we break through that sense, it is as natural as songs we hear in our heads.

4.  The mixing of musical styles and traditions is one of the strengths of the show, and helps it appeal to a wider audience.

5.  I think Glee is an important television show, which will be around for a while, because of all the reasons above - especially its "just plain folks" appeal, or telling us a story about people not much different from us.



Special Discount Coupons for Angie's List, Avis, Budget Rent-a-Car, eBags, eHarmony, eMusic



The Plot to Save Socrates




"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Excellent points here, Paul. I do think it is a welcome relief after mind-bending, unrealistic plots like Lost (which I love!) I also want to point out that if you've ever been a member of a high school choir this show hits some resounding nostalgic and comical notes (so to speak).

dawn said...

PAul my friend this is one of my new favorite. Its an hour of good music , fun story line and just a tv show that makes you feel good without having to really think. My macho husband even watched this week.

Paul Levinson said...

Good point, Sarah!

Dawn - once again, you have fine tastes!

InfiniteRegress.tv