"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Polls and Surveys Won Big Last Night, Too

Not only Barack Obama and the American people won big last night - so did the polls that predicted Obama would win the Presidency.

They weren't perfect - some of the polls saw Obama winning the popular vote by double digits - but they got the big victory right. Obama won by impressive numbers in Pennsylvania, just as the polls predicted. And he won in Florida, Ohio, Colorado, Iowa, Nevada - so-called "red states" - just as the polls predicted. I suspect these states won't be red again for a long time. Indeed, I wonder how much of a future the Republican Party, as it currently is, will have in any case...

I wonder what the polls will say in the weeks, months, and years ahead about that.

They were wrong, big time, in their prediction that FDR would lose in 1936, and Truman would lose in 1948. They got it wrong in the Democratic Primary in New Hampshire earlier this year.

But the polls were right, big time, about the revolution that has brought America up to par with its greatest dreams and highest ideals last night.

5 comments:

badthing1 said...

Prof, I have to tell you that it was an absolute joy to be a part of this historical election! I'm proud of us Americans for doing what was right for our country and the world.

Indeed the entire election process (including the news coverage polls) seemed to run just like a well-oiled machine, didn't it? Whew! that was a relief.

We were intrigued when Wolf Blitzer introduced Jessica Yellin via hologram and interviewed her and then didn't want to leave CNN for fear of missing more holograms. :)

I have high hopes that President Obama will live up to his promises and watching/listening to his speech was nothing else BUT a magical experience.

As for McCain's concession speech, by giving it when and how he did, it showed that he walked away with class and dignity.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to the economy going deeper in recession despite the government's acts to counteract it. I'm looking forward to the markets collapsing even worse than it currently has under Bush. I'm looking forward to the gas shortages and the sky-rocketing prices of oil and energy in general. I'm looking forward to the expansion of the welfare state. I'm looking forward to a bigger war with Afghanistan. A war with Pakistan. A war with Russia. I'm looking forward to a global carbon tax, and higher taxes for those who create jobs. I'm looking forward to less tax revenues and higher deficits. I'm looking forward to higher unemployment. I'm looking forward to Obama's peace corp. activists and such. I'm looking forward to the surveillance state. I'm looking forward to true progressives being completely disappointed in their man. I'm looking forward to universal healthcare, and higher health costs. I'm looking forward to the shortfall when it comes to entitlements... I'm looking forward to such great times.

Paul Levinson said...

Hank - I hope you continue derive enjoyment from your paranoid delusions.

Pardon the rest of us, as we move with Obama to build a better country and a better world.

Paul Levinson said...

badthing: well said!

Anonymous said...

I predict that, under Obama, taxes and government spending will increase, government regulation and control over our lives will increase, economic disorder will increase, state police powers will increase, and imperialistic wars will continue unimpeded (and likely increase). In short, the political establishment will continue to pursue its agenda - without a break in meter - regardless of who it places on the throne. In the words of Emma Goldman: 'If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.'

InfiniteRegress.tv