"Paul Levinson's It's Real Life is a page-turning exploration into that multiverse known as rock and roll. But it is much more than a marvelous adventure narrated by a master storyteller...it is also an exquisite meditation on the very nature of alternate history." -- Jack Dann, The Fiction Writer's Guide to Alternate History

Monday, November 24, 2008

True Blood: Last Bite of the Season

I really liked the climactic scene in the season finale of True Blood. Bill's love for Sookie gets him to brave the deadly sun to save her, but the sun's too strong and he falls a little short. Sam turns into a dog and gets Rene briefly off of Sookie - but Sam's almost kicked to death as a dog and then Sam. And Sookie, choked out by Rene, comes to, and kills Rene with a shovel. It was a powerful, satisfying scene, with a vampire and a shape-shifting dog to Sookie's rescue - but she's the one who ultimately saves herself.

I also liked Bill surviving - after Sam puts his sun-burned-with-a-vengence body in the ground - and Bill's first feeding on Lafayette made sense. (I predict he's still alive.)

I'm still not happy, though, with Rene being the killer. Sookie later explains that he was able to shut off part of his mind to her. That's a little too convenient.

But Bill being saddled with the rebellious vampire he made is a good touch, and I'm liking if not understanding whatever's going on with Tara and her protector - who also has some connection to Sam.

I'm looking forward to next summer, and will likely read the books by then. If I don't, it's only because I'm watching too much television (and writing a couple of books myself).

See also: True Blood Calling ... Penultimate True Blood







8-min podcast review of True Blood






The Plot to Save Socrates


"challenging fun" - Entertainment Weekly

"a Da Vinci-esque thriller" - New York Daily News

"Sierra Waters is sexy as hell" - curled up with a good book


more about The Plot to Save Socrates...

Get your own at Profile Pitstop.com



Read the first chapter of The Plot to Save Socrates
.... FREE!

3 comments:

Dana Fredsti said...

I'm quite jealous - I love those books and really want to see the series, but don't have HBO...

Paul Levinson said...

They should be out on DVD before too long...

Welcome to Infinite Regress!

Anonymous said...

I am afraid that the red toenails that were shown in the final scene do belong to Lafayette? There was a scene where he was painting his toenails red in the previous episode. I hope its not true, I loved his character. It would make sense that the senator had Lafayette killed, but Lafayette's reaction to whatever attacked him was more like he saw a monster.

Hopefully this is just my overactive imagination and next season Lafayette will return.

Here's to hoping.

Denise in Texas

InfiniteRegress.tv